• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What level are you seeking?

I just want to keep going until I can't physically do it anymore. Hopefully that will be many years down the road, but with each year that passes, something else in my body hurts. :lol: I don't look at where I can go in my rank. I just want to be good at what I do and be good at teaching others.

That's a great way to put it. I've trained enough in Western Boxing to really stop caring about what rank I achieve in my art.

Like Tori, I want to train until I can't any longer. If rank comes with that, great. But since I went for 19 years at the same rank, I'm not in a hurry.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to keep going until I can't physically do it anymore. Hopefully that will be many years down the road, but with each year that passes, something else in my body hurts. :lol: I don't look at where I can go in my rank. I just want to be good at what I do and be good at teaching others.

That's a great way to put it. I've trained enough in Western Boxing to really stop caring about what rank I achieve in my art.

Like Tori, I want to train until I can't any longer. If rank comes with that, great. But since I went for 19 years at the same rank, I'm not in a hurry.

Good point here. Even if our rank doesn't change, it is important that we seek to have learned something every day.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't ever want to be beaten ever, I know what it feels like, Its so humiliating and it hurts more mentally than physically to be beaten.

I train to fight a real fight, I am normally more than happy to fight someone who asks for it, it gives me a chance to test my skills and show where I need to improve or learn new moves...

I know among all of you that this seems undisciplined and childish or not the wise way. But thats the way life made me, and now I seek to be the ultimate fighting machine using knowledge as well as power.

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

I don't ever want to be beaten ever, I know what it feels like, Its so humiliating and it hurts more mentally than physically to be beaten.

I train to fight a real fight, I am normally more than happy to fight someone who asks for it, it gives me a chance to test my skills and show where I need to improve or learn new moves...

I know among all of you that this seems undisciplined and childish or not the wise way. But thats the way life made me, and now I seek to be the ultimate fighting machine using knowledge as well as power.

but here is my question, wouldn't that person that you beat feel the same way you did when you got beaten?

and when you become this ultimate fighting machine, then what?...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

When Pedro Sauer comes into town to do a seminar we always have a few new situations to ask him about. Inevitably he has an answer for each one. More often than not he has several answers for each situation. He always takes us to the next level because of that.

I would like to achieve that level. The level where, through a combination of experience, training, and dedication, I am able to have an answer for any situation that comes up. In addition, I would like to be able to convey that information to students in order to increase their level as well.

I currently teach on a regular basis and am working on my open guard and guard passing skills more than anything.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I would like to achieve that level. The level where, through a combination of experience, training, and dedication, I am able to have an answer for any situation that comes up. In addition, I would like to be able to convey that information to students in order to increase their level as well.

I think that this is great, and I would love to be able to reach such a level as well. It is amazing to see that individuals like Sauer can do this for those who ask; on the other side, you have to wonder how hard and how much he keeps working to be able to be that way. Where does he go for his questions, I wonder?

nice question. I think no "highest" level can ever be acheived. When you get to a certain standard there will always be someone better which makes you want to also improve.

I think just to keep training so as to stay relatively sharp and fit is all that is required for myself.

https://www.markstraining.com Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists.

My strategy is this

Try and go to class twice a week (more at Grading Time)

Do my best each and every class

Do a little better than I did before last class

Ask questions

And Learn what I can along the way

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

• 3 weeks later...

My goal is to achieve 6th degree black belt (Master) in Shoalin-Do Kung Fu and 3rd degree black sash in Tai Chi.

I am testing for my 2nd degree brown belt tomorrow night. I am currently 48 and hope to achieve my 1st degree black be fore I turn 50. I should be about 70 years old by the time I reach Master level.