• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Live-in training or "apprenticeship" (Uchi-Deshi)

If you could do a one-year live-in or apprenticeship type of training with any living Martial Artist right now, who would it be with and why? (I know that there is a Japanese term for this kind of idea, but it slips my mind).

For me, my first choice would be with Iain Abernethy, because I would love to learn more about his "Applied Karate" training, and get the first hand experience. My second choice would be Stuart Paul Anslow, who does something very similar, and with the TKD forms that I study.

Edited by bushido_man96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could do a one-year live-in or apprenticeship type of training with any living Martial Artist right now, who would it be with and why? (I know that there is a Japanese term for this kind of idea, but it slips my mind).

For me, my first choice would be with Iain Abernethy, because I would love to learn more about his "Applied Karate" training, and get the first hand experience. My second choice would be Stuart Paul Anslow, who does something very similar, and with the TKD forms that I study.

Alternatively, if it is traditional karate you are after, you could go to the source of the stream.

As luck would have it, I know just the thing you are looking for. :)

These guys run an internship in Japan for a year.. You get to train with the likes of Takamasa Arakawa sensei for a year... for free.

http://japankarateintern.blogspot.com

Obviously you have to be accepted first.

Gees how I wish i was still in my twenties.

Z.

PS Bushi, the expression you are looking for is "Uchi- deshi"

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

As luck would have it, I know just the thing you are looking for. :)

These guys run an internship in Japan for a year.. You get to train with the likes of Takamasa Arakawa sensei for a year... for free.

http://japankarateintern.blogspot.com

Obviously you have to be accepted first.

Gees how I wish i was still in my twenties.

Me too, me too!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Ahhhhh, there's a question!

I would absolutely love to hook up with my best friend's father who studies ninjitsu and teaches his own style of combat Aikido for a year....he travels back and forth from Japan to the Philipines all the time.

Then, for another year (if I could handle it after the first year) I would like to take a year with Russel Stutely (spelling?) and learn what appears to be a vast knowledge of pressure point and vital point techniques.

Great question!

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation

I'd like to survive just a training camp with George St. Pierre. I think that hands down he's probibly the best pound for pound mma'er out there right now. Well versed in all ranges of unarmed combat, exciting to watch, and always in great fighitng shape...yeah, I'd like to get that kind of experience.

Rickson Gracie...I could be Krohn's practice dummy:)

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Bushi, the expression you are looking for is "Uchi- deshi"

Thanks, Zanshin. I just couldn't think of the term. I added it to the title of the thread.

So, who would it be for you, Zanshin? Would it be the name you listed?

Bushi, the expression you are looking for is "Uchi- deshi"

Thanks, Zanshin. I just couldn't think of the term. I added it to the title of the thread.

So, who would it be for you, Zanshin? Would it be the name you listed?

In Wado Karate:

Takagi Hideho / Arakawa (Toru or Takamasa) / Hakoishi Katsumi to name but a few.

In Koryu:

Toby Threadgill - Shindo Yoshin Ryu (he is American btw)

Shogen Okobayashi - Daito Ryu Aiki-jujutsu

But alas, I do not have 6 lifetimes to spare.

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com