• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Glossary of Martial Arts terms

May I suggest grouping your "glossary" into a Martial Arts Dictionary and have it done alphabetically. On this page have 'letters' A-Z

hyperlinked to corresponding page beginning with that letter and group the whole lot together!

Such as "A" :

Abaniko: This Arnis striking technique uses a stick in a movement which resembles a fan motion.

Acupressure: In this process, the channels through which chi, or life energy, flows are opened by putting pressure on or by massaging certain areas of the body.

Acupuncture: This process opens the channels in the body through which chi, or life energy, flow by stimulating the points with a needle.

Age uke: A Rising block which is also known as a high block or upper block. Upward Counter.

Ai: Translates as "harmony," It is the idea of two opposites resting in harmony. Yin-Yang.

Aiki: "Harmony meeting." When one combines an opponents' energy with their own for control.

Aikido: A martial art developed by Uyeshiba Morihei in the 1930's. Based on aikijutsu, aikido is considered a non-aggressive art, using the opponents' energy against them.

Patrick you know I love organization! (re: topics in forum)

Let me know how I can help here with this also!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... so all terms together regardless of language?

Maybe we could do:

Word (Language) - Description. Or maybe not at all.

We'll do it alphabetically in some way though. If it is seperated by language and then by alphabetical then so be it.

Maybe just one large A - Z like KickChick was saying. :smile:

This may be more work, but it would be better to list the terms by language/dialect. If someone wants to find the term for a side kick in Korean, it would be a heck of a lot easier to look in that section instead of one mass list of terms.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

I'd go for on large A-Z, split up by a few good hyperlinks!

The way I initially thought of it was kind of like you have the "Links" section of the site, where people could add things if they wanted, so it was perhaps not a strictly official definition always, but would give people's interpretations also. Because of this I would have a line at the end of the definition a person submitted for the style of MA as, say, ki/chi might be viewed subtly differently between MAs, and also the country of the person posting - you could perhaps have these as a drop-down menu so they had to be included in the message, and let the "form" do the rest.

After that, I would allow anything that's relevant to the definition, whether it be descriptions or anecdotes - so long as they were relevant, but strictly remove anything that was just waffle or chit-chat. In my mind I envisaged something like they have in the "Knowhere" guides, only more strictly controlled as this have just become nonsense (http://www.knowhere.co.uk/) However the submission idea is still good, IMO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ZR440 - you could easily do both if the submission form included a "language" or "origin" box, and then it was possible to do a "sort by" as an option to view the glossary. Personally, I would like to be able to compare what different things mean in different MAs, but I accept that one might also find it useful just to look within one's own art.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can I suggest organized by language, at least.

The best way would be with a PHP script, and forms automating entry to a file. Time and effort to build, but members could then post away without any further maintenance or manually updating the thing. It would also help keep it all organized and sorted.

It'd be a job to get it all sorted, though...

KarateForums.com - Sempai

http://www.kickboxing.com/knowledge/search/dynamic-frameset.html?http://freespace.virgin.net/david.kneafsey/termin.htm

Found this on the kickboxing.com link on the page. This is a link to Shotokan terms. Hope that helps.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Let me just take this opportunity to show my ignorance and ask a question about consolodating the terminology.

Let me explain...

I have heard the horse stance(for instance) referred to as both "Juchoom Soghi" and "Kima Jawh Seh".

This seems to occur with many other Korean terms as well.

Like I said, maybe I just don't know enough Korean yet but it gets confusing...

Thoughts??? ... :???:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

Well .... if you are going to do a "complete" glossary of terms having to do with techniques, patterns, etc.(Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Okinawan, .....) you will definitely need to split up into different styles i.e. Korean, Japanese, etc.....

To be more generalized yet informative would be more useful. Not every stance, block or kick needs to be used.

Let's incorporate the "common" terms that many of us from different styles may not know. Like say:

Ukemi: "Breakfalling." The art of using shock-dispersing action such as rolls and breakfalls to avoid injury when falling.

Uechi ryu: An Okinawan style of karate founded by Kanbum Uechi. It is characterized by linear patterns and forceful breathing.

Not techniques but common terms.

When submitting would it be possible to tick boxes for all subjects you think that your definition might be relevant to, then these could be used as selection criteria when someone wants to browse rather than search?

(I could be very naive here - I can't even get my web-site to have a private area yet - stupid blummin puter won't let me, blummin thing)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~