• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where and who are the Shotokan guys on here now?

G95champ

To Shotokan-kez: Sounds about the same to be honest, when your dealing with different schools ignore the color of the belts and focus on the number of the rank for example 10th kyu, 9th kyu, etc..

G95champ: I've read Funakoshi's my way of life, and just bought KDK, but I'd be interested in any other books you recommend. I'm actually interest in getting a second book for kata it's the "Best Karate" Series by Masatoshi Nakayama... The book for Heian and Tekki is only like $7.00 and the illustrations of the moves, are a bit nicer than the pictures in Kyohan. However Kyohan has far more content about the Kata, and karate in general.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly Im not a big fan of the best karate books.

Karate Do Kyohan is by far the best book out there for kata that Ive used.

The Kenneth Funakoshi video series done in the late 80's by Panther is great for kata.

A guy named Kelly does a few books on Shotokan that are really good not so much on techinque as it is history and ideas behind the art. Both his books are under 20.00. It may have been in the Kelly books where I read the stuff as well Ill have to check to make sure.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Ah, all i know is that my friend had a copy of best karate, and there appeared to be more pictures of each movement.

However, I'll take your word for it and look in to some of the other books seeing as my Sensei didn't mention the best karate books either.

The Best karate books got good pics and do a really good job with basics but they are weak on kata IMO.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have several of the Best Karate series, and I do like them. Granted, I am not an experienced Shotokan Karateka, but from what I have read in them, I find them fairly well put together.

I would be interested in picking up Karate-Do Kyohan. Although I don't always agree with Funakoshi's philosophical outlooks on the Martial Arts, I would still like to read his works.

Best Karate is well done espically for basics but the Kata is the weakness of the series.

white owl I see your in Pitt what school are you with?