• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which Chinese style do yall think most closely resembles Japanese Karate? I'm interested because word on the street is the the style I practice may be descended from Chinese arts.

Thanks

If a blackbelt is easy to attain then you have to question the worth of the rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops this should probably be in the comparative styles forum...Oh well...

If a blackbelt is easy to attain then you have to question the worth of the rank.

Okinawan and Japanese Karate have some influences from Chinese styles. The form Wanshu, I believe, is one of these. There is a style that has an influence of White Crane, but I don't recall which it is.

That would be Matsumura that has the strongest ties to White Crane Bushido_man.

Wanshu, Chinto and several other kata have a heavy Chinese influence.

Roys15, by most closely resembles, do you mean in appearance or in concepts/application? After that you get into the differences between real Japanese karate and Okinawan systems.

So are you looking for the Chinese style that most "looks" like the Japanese style your doing. Or the Chinese style that most influenced the founder of the Japanese style or it's kata? What style are you training in right now to give everyone a better idea of where to start?

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I currently train in chito-ryu yoshukai, and I read somewhere that Dr. Chitose was influenced by chinese styles in his studies. I was just wondering which style(s) influenced him so.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken, Goju has some roots in Chineese arts as well and some of it's movements are taken from a kung fu branch, Pau Kau I think. You can definatly see the softer influence in it, but I don't know how much it actually mimicks the movements out of that system.

If nothing else, it's certainly softer than other Japaneese karate arts.

I found a good article on the history of Chitose Tsuyoshi :

http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/Pages/article33.htm

by Michael Colling.

You can read in this article why he named his style Chito-Ryu. There is a lot more interesting information in this article too. Some information on Mamoru Yamamoto also.

Hope you can find what you are looking for in this article.

• 4 months later...
Which Chinese style do yall think most closely resembles Japanese Karate? I'm interested because word on the street is the the style I practice may be descended from Chinese arts.

Thanks

It's known that Fujian White Crane had a big influnece on Karate.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

• 2 weeks later...