• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

multiple assailants

I won't argue that one could view kata as training for multiple attackers. However, I think you would be better served by other methods of training for this type of situation.

For instance, drills can be utilized with multiple people holding focus mitts. These people can then deploy randomly and begin to move in. Then you can strike and move as they present the mitts.

Additionally, as was metioned above, realistic sparring agaisnt multiple opponants is probibly more instructive. These forms for training simulate the many variables of actual conflict much better than the more static form of kata training. Now, you have to factor for motion of all parties involved, different angles of attack and unexpected tactics of aggressors.

Further, you can always have an opponant armored for sparring amoung you mitt holders. While striking the mitts, he can randomly engage with grabbing attacks, tackle attempts, or grappling instigation. Then your defender has to adapt to several forms of attack at once.

This free form work will also metanlly train someone more quickly to adapt to the higher stress envoirnment of a fight. Just my thoughts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I mentioned kata is designed for learning to defend against more than one opponent, I didn't mean that kata alone would be sufficient training. Not at all. What kata teaches you in that aspect is how to move and how to get your body in tune with doing more than one thing at a time and moving quickly.

In my class we spar against numerous opponents frequently. Sometimes, just for the heck of it, when two of my students are sparring, I will suddenly jump in and attack one of them, or have 1...2...or even 3 other students join the fray unexpectedly. It gets pretty interesting at times, and a whole lot of fun! :brow:

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I think that your encounter demonstrates a few things, Montana. One is the importance of striking first, and surprising your opponents. That, in and of itself, is very important.

However, once all 3 attackers start to actually hit you at the same time, then things get ugly, really quick.

When I mentioned kata is designed for learning to defend against more than one opponent, I didn't mean that kata alone would be sufficient training. Not at all. What kata teaches you in that aspect is how to move and how to get your body in tune with doing more than one thing at a time and moving quickly.

In my class we spar against numerous opponents frequently. Sometimes, just for the heck of it, when two of my students are sparring, I will suddenly jump in and attack one of them, or have 1...2...or even 3 other students join the fray unexpectedly. It gets pretty interesting at times, and a whole lot of fun! :brow:

I'd like to get in on that fun.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask how well your students adjust to suddenly having more than one opponent. How often do they win even with the adjustment?

Sparring and Fighting are 2 differant beasts.

Heck watch UFC guys spar then watch how careful they are in a "controled fight"

Few tips.

1. Hit and Run - Don't stay on one guy too long and never let you feet stop moving.

2. Stay on your feet - Jujitsu is great on a padded floor one on one but IMHO in a real fight you better be able to strike and strike hard.

3. Take out the leader or most agressive person first and hope the rest get the idea.

4. Use or find a weapon. Your belt is a good one but anything that gives you KO power or someting to make distance with.

5. Back to the corner. I know it sounds stupid to back into a corner but if you have to fight don't let anyone get our of your range of vision. Back to a wall or in a door way is perfect.

6. G.E.T. Training GROIN, EYES and THROAT then GET the heck out of there. Hit them where it hurts its not sparring!

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

6. G.E.T. Training GROIN, EYES and THROAT then GET the heck out of there. Hit them where it hurts its not sparring!

I like that acronym. Great ideas, too.

Also, by backing towards a corner, you at least know that no one is going to get you from the blind side.

True, it limits the bad guys avanues of attack. However, it also limits your routes for escape and lets them press you with weight of numbers.

Unless no oter option exsisted, I'd keep moving in open space.

If there is a open spot that you can escape to then yes but if forced to fight I say protect you back.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I've always had it drilled into me not to go into a corner. Especially if there are a number of attackers. Reason being is you can't escape without going forward towards your attackers and you personally are more likely to be constantly on the defensive. We get told just to keep moving and to control the positioning of the assailants. I guess it depends on training ideologies though as for us we have like an idea that you have your long range, mid range and close range attacks and you try to keep it to the furthest away range in most senarios.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Just out of curiosity, may I ask how well your students adjust to suddenly having more than one opponent. How often do they win even with the adjustment?

They adjust very quickly (they have to). The more experience they have and practice at it, the quicker they shift gears and tactics.

As for how often they win...there is no winning involved in that training. No points, just sparring. What I ask of my "attackers" is that if the defender gets in a good technique that would knock them back or disable them, then to back of for a few seconds. You see, we don't wear any pads of any sort in class (most don't wear groing cups), but I expect powerful techniques with good control.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.