• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

im a competitive fighter therefor the cardio classes dont do much for me......it kinda helps with my endurance but my endurance is pretty high from all my running and other fitness activities i do

the real work out for me comes from the stuff we do after cardio like the anaerobic work, strength work etc......

i focus more on anaerobic then endurance now because i really need to get those short bursts of energy to finish off my oponent in the closing seconds of the round

endurance training is important as well but if you dont got the anerobic stuff in you will pay for it when you cant suck it up and finish off your opponent

and you said you do your classes on wave masters? well wave masters are good but we have broken alot of them at our dojo from hitting them so hard.....and we only got one bag at he dojo but we barely use it because the coach of the canadian kickboxing/karate team said that 85% of our training should be focus pad work.......cuz focus pad work covers the simulation of fighting you get from sparring, the power you gain from bag work and technique you get from shadow sparring

this is primarily one of the reasons why cuban boxers are so good......if you go to alot of the boxing gyms in cuba you will notice that alot of them do not have heavy bags.....but they just drill constantly on focus pad work

so sorry if i blabbed on but i do not get a work out from "cardio" classes but rather from the anerobic, running, weights, sparring and focus pad work we do.........that and the grappling in jiu jitsu

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like the fact that a lot of places simply put "Kickboxing" instead of aerobick kickboxing. You see walk into the place believing you will do kickboxing but you end up doing aerobic, so I think a lot of places should change their adds.

My dojo is one example. They teach karate and have a big sign saying kickboxing but in reality its nothing more than aerobic.

I am sure that if someone inquires about these classes they are told they are "aerobic" or "fitness" kickboxing classes.

Seems to me false advertising for someone to get into thinking its "sport" kickboxing.

I hate the term aerobic....all I can picture is Jane Fonda and her sweater half leggings!

:lol:

I prefer fitness kickboxing or cardio kickboxing...taught by someone with MA exp. so that you get an awesome workout with proper technique! :up:

There are soooo many programs out there called many different things...boxaerobics, TaeBo, cardio Karate,aerobic kickboxing etc. etc. Read what the program truly is...they are designed for different clientele...the YMCA group, the gym or fitness club or the dojo.

I prefer the dojo! :karate:

Deby

Hey Prodigy-Child, sounds like you know how to work it! Hope you do well! We don't have wavemasters in our Dojo - what's a wavemaster btw? We do alot of pad work in our classes, which I like the best. Our class is taught by kickboxing instructors, so it leans more towards kickboxing than a typical aerobic workout. Can you give me an example of what anerobic exercises are - I'm not quite sure what that means and I'd like to do some of those so I can use those short bursts of energy when I'm sparring. Thanks!

Lori :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Anaerobic exercise involves short bursts of

exercise followed by periods of rest.

Your body will develop stronger muscles as a result of anaerobic exercise.

This exercisse does not burn fat. Its muscle building benefits are good with the benefits of aerobic exercise.

People with different metabolic rates and different body shapes need to workout differently. A person who tends to gain weight or fat easily needs more aerobics than a person who cannot gain a pound no matter what! (we HATE those people!)

Aerobic Exercise is essential for weight loss, cardio vascular fitness and body-shaping.

Anaerobic exercise is essential for strength building & muscle gain.

Anaerobic exercises are activities in which the body cannot process enough oxygen to continue. The literal definition of anaerobic is "without oxygen." Anaerobic exercises can only be done for short periods of time.

Some examples of anaerobic exercises include strength training and running sprints,weight training or power lifting.

Calisthenics... exercises against the resistance of your own body weight, pushups, chin-ups, parallel dips and abdominal crunches.

Interval training such as wind sprints.

Any other exercise that will fatigue you or the muscle group in 30 seconds to a minute and a half.

Sports that usually include short bursts of energy (sprinting and then resting), like baseball, hockey, football

or volleyball are anaerobic. These are good for fitness, coordination and timing. However, they do not use the same muscle building response as weight training and callisthenics.

:wave:

Deby :pony:

1st Deg. TaeKwonDo Black Belt/Fitness Kickboxing

(Moderator of Health & Fitness Forum)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-08-28 11:59 ]

Oh, and wavematers are just heavy bags filled with either water or sand that are freestanding. We get ours from Century products...we have over 30 in our school and yes, we do have to replace now and again because we do kick the crap out of them! But I have one in my gym at home and use it everyday!

I end every one of my classes with anaerobic routine for 15 minutes. My class time has now been extended to one hour (from 45 min) so I may increase that for 20 min.

Deby

a good example of an anerobic excercise is going on a bag and kicking or punching continuisly 5, 10, 20 or 30 seconds ALL OUT

we do those excersices untill our bodies forces us to slow down or stop..........a few people have actually thrown up after doing them which shows how tough they really are

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

OK - I've got it now - we do alot of that and yeah, I can relate to the throw-up thing BIG TIME! I'm glad to know that it's because I worked so hard then!

Lori :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

I don't mean to disrespect "fitness kickboxer" but I can think of a lot of cardio work out that I would do before I come to think about "fitness kickboxing".

EX: Running/ weight lifting in addition to my martial arts trainning.