• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi to all my fellow martial artists!

How do all of you kickboxers feel about Karate schools that offer "aerobic"/"cardio" kickboxing. I have received flack from those "Miss Suzie the Aerobic Instructor-types" that say we should leave the fitness workouts to those certified through IDEA/AACE or other fitness org. and that we who are trained in the martial arts (I am a Black Belt in TKD plus I am certified thru NAPMA & have CPR training) aren't qualified to teach punches & kicks. Go figure!

Whatcha think?? (see my Introduction "New girl in town")

Deb

:roll:

If there is a righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in character,beauty in the character, there will be harmony in thehome. Harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation.When there is order in the nation, there will be peace on earth.

This Message was edited by: KickChick on Aug 7, 2001 9:54am

This Message was edited by: KickChick on Aug 7, 2001 9:55am

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's great .....functional aerobics is much more realistic and incorporates more muscle groups than the step up and down classes "miss suzie" teaches. :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

I personally think TaeBo style workouts do NOT teach effective self defense. It is a great and fun workout though that works to get a person in great shape. Keep doing what you do and just have fun. If those "Suzie's" get in your face again, just smile and say.. "well I'm having fun, what about you?"

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

I think it is great that you can get alot of people into your school that otherwise would not be there.

Hey if they are having fun and getting in some shape than go for it.

I think that if you are getting people in the school and they are leaving happy then you are doing something wright.

As long as they are not under the misunderstanding that they are learning real kickboxing and just having A good workout that is cool.

It has also put the word Kickboxing into the mainstream and I think that that is Good.

So keep on teaching cardio Kickboxing and have A great time with it.

tommybeeatafc@yahoo.com

https://www.ringoffirekickboxing.com

Ok...

First thing :

1) I DO NOT teach TAEBO-style. I teach strictlyTKD kicking & punching on wavemasters w/ hands wrapped into 16 oz. gloves.

2) I do not "grapevine" "shuffle hop step" or "do-si-do". I do power round house kicks, switch kicks, front & side kicks...jab/hook/uppercuts among other moves...to the beat of heavy metal/trance music...awesome sweaty workout.

3) I have alot of men who take my class ...(and it's not because I wear a thong & spandex...cos' I don't) :lol: ...it's because it is a real tae kwon do/boxing style of instruction that I teach.

I would indeed say that it is effective self defense. Many of the women in my class have developed real kickass side kicks ...(we women do possess a higher degree of lower body strength re: the legs) and now know how to throw a straight punch (before class I saw some real sissy punching!)

Wish I could bring you all to a class.....!!!

Peace,

Deb

:karate:

I do not "grapevine" "shuffle hop step" or "do-si-do"

No one said you did. No one really said anything derogatory about your art. I took it that people respected what you do and were trying to be nice. :smile: I am sure that nothing derogatory was said purposely.

Yea.. i guess that is ok, but wavemasters? C'mon, if you kick and punch those things with any amount of power, they spring leaks and/or tip over. And, I think learning self-defense is more than just hitting bags.

Your students might learn good kicking and punching, but they are missing the other 2 elements of self-defense, tactics and sparring.

Keep having fun and stay in shape.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Hey Kick chick, RELAX!! You should get some more sparring in. It might help you to calm down a little. Don't take things that people say on these boards so personel . You teach in your program what you found to work for you and if it incorporates A great workout with some good self defense and your students like it then you are doing A good job.

Don't worry what people who do not no you say . All that matters is what your students think.

By the way I also think that women are great athletes and martial artist . There are many great women Kickboxers in the world today. I trained one female Ameteur World champion , She is retired now and I am curently training an up and coming 19 year old girl that I hope to make into A World champion in the not to distant future. She now has about 10 ameteur fights . When she has about 20 fights I will have her challenge for an ameteur World title. She may be fighting in Greece in the WPKA World championships in 2002, or in Ireland for A world title before that. She will be fighting in November for the USKBA North American Title against A girl from Canada on Long Island NY.

tommybeeatafc@yahoo.com

http://www.ringoffirekickboxing.com

This Message was edited by: TOMMY BEE on Aug 7, 2001 7:08pm

This Message was edited by: TOMMY BEE on Aug 7, 2001 7:12pm

tommybeeatafc@yahoo.com

https://www.ringoffirekickboxing.com

Those kind of school kinda looks like the schools who just want money. How could they learn " real " teakwondo or what ever and learn who to do those silly danceing kickboxing. If you want to get in shape, join a gym , if you want to learn how to fight join a school that offers one kind of art. Most schools who offer, kunfu, teakwondo, kickboxing, muaythai, bjj, and etc are just boosted about them selfs. The teacher might get only 6 month of train on half of those and pretent that they know.

am I off the topic.

"Don't think!! Feel..."

-Bruce Lee

https://www.muaythaiboxing.friendpages.com

This site is dumb but I made it so it is good.

Well, I did ask you all what you thought. Thank you, I usually never get what I ask for! :brow:

We can end this here now...I will now devote all future posting to "real" martial arts.

Listen guys..Really I am not trying to be defensive....and if I relax more than I am now well, :sleep:

It is words used like "tae bo", "silly", "dancing"...and Patrick let's face it Billy dances or in his words " I jam to the beat as I shuffle my feet, are y'all with me?"

Okay, I guess I do get a little defensive cos' I really do think this is a great program...(again check it out "cardioKarate" at http://www.napma.com)

Yes, self defense is MORE than hitting bags. I agree 100% (Oh, and to solve the prob of leaks and tipping over of wavemasters, you use sand and rubberized threads on carpet. I'm sure thaiboxerken could knock them over but, then again my class is made up of folks that don't really want formalized martial arts training but enjoy kicking & punching the $&*# out on the bags, like I said a release of aggression and a great workout.

Muay I will post my school's website shortly once they get it back online and you will see how wrong you are about "those kind of schools". All of our instructors are black belts although I do agree that there are many fitness instr. out there in the gyms that offer this "kickbox workout" under the guise that they know what they're doing cos' they went to a workshop taught by someone who held a belt in martial arts.

Thanks Tommy Bee - you're right on target with your posts ('cept the part about me sparring, I spar 4 nights a week besides teaching)...I'm a little hi-strung sorry if I

sounded like a complete jerk!

I am fun to spar with tho'! :argue:

Please bear in mind I 1st dan in TKD (soon 2nd!)...12 years currently studying Aikido (no belt grade)

:up: You guys are the best!

Peace,

Deb

"A woman does not practice martial arts so that she can fight like a man. She does so in order to be free to be a woman."