• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Say you just passed a Dan testing and you're going to the dojo to train as usual, and you find your sensei there and he demands you test again, right then and there.

What do yall think of this idea. I think it'd be a great way to terminate "temporary knowledge".

...Maybe a little cruel though...

If a blackbelt is easy to attain then you have to question the worth of the rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, first off, I would think it would suck. However, the idea behind a test is that it shouldn't be 100% planned and expected. It is what it is; a test.

Also great if you as the instructor forgot to put together a class plan for that night....:lol:

Yeah, it would be tough. Kinda mean to. I think the unexpected should happen during the test. We often have one of the board members throw out unexpected and usually very difficult scenarios.

Another factor to be considered is that your new bb is probibly beat to tar for a few days afterward and my not be in the best physical condition to jump into the heat of it again so quickly.

Well our BB test took 4 hours, so I would not want to do that again; however, there have been many classes where we have walked in and he has had the whole class go through a "mini" test. We had to demonstrate much of what we know with the whole class. As the night moves on, the lower ranks sit down when their requirements are done. They then get to continue to watch the upper ranks demonstrate. It is a great way to look and see what black belts are there just to be there, and which ones actually take being a student seriously. I believe it is also a way for the head instructor to get a better picture of who may be up next to rank to the next black belt level. Some people have been held back based on those nights of the suprise "pop quiz".

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I think it would be pretty tough to do the entire test again but in our sessions we do get thrown theory questions sporadically and get asked to stand in front of the class and demonstrate or explain something. Its a good thing sometimes as a lot of people think to themselves that now that they've learnt something and passed a test with it, they can now discard it from memory and just focus on the next rank. Also keeps you constantly prepared and at a good standard.

I don't think I'd mind being asked to test then and there.. depending on whether you were expected to do all the physical endurance as well though. I like to be able to go into work and not collapse from exhaustion!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 4 months later...
Say you just passed a Dan testing and you're going to the dojo to train as usual, and you find your sensei there and he demands you test again, right then and there.

What do yall think of this idea. I think it'd be a great way to terminate "temporary knowledge".

...Maybe a little cruel though...

Well, if the "high powers that be" told me I passed, yet my instructor said otherwise, I'd certainly like an explanation of that because that would be two conflicting opinions and another long, arduous process to be repeated. :-?

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I still think you'd be too beat up to work at the same level of intensity as you were the first go around. They should have beaten you to a pulp the first time thru in part to do just that.

A second of these so soon wouldn't be a good measure of talent, only the ablity to serve as a punching bag. And agian, you should have done some of that the first time thru.

I think that it would be a fair thing to do in some respects. If they failed this 'pop quiz' I don't think they should lose their recently earned belt as they have already earned it. It could be handy as a reminder that they should always be ready to use their training etc.

What do yall think of this idea. I think it'd be a great way to terminate "temporary knowledge"

I'm not a dan member, Roys15, but there is a difference between a re-test and a pop quiz.

Would you consider a portion of the test redone, rather than the entire test?

My instructor has already warned higher belts that dan testing is everything from the very first white belt hyung. She has higher belts working with lower ones already, and examines as she goes along, that teaching, not only learning, is being done right. (Then again, sometimes the best way to know, "truly" know, something is to teach it to someone else; you wind up understanding it better.)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu