• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sai shape

Roys15

How are your zai shaped? I ask because I've noticed that most styles use zai whose side guards are curved, in our style, though, we have them specially made so that the side guards have sharp angles instead of being gently curved.

Does anyone else use zai like this, our do yall just use the off the shelf curved-type that martial arts retailers sell?

If a blackbelt is easy to attain then you have to question the worth of the rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any particular reason your sai are made that way?

And my sai since you asked...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/armanox/Shorin%20Ryu/DSCI0014.jpg

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

They are made that way for better balance.

If a blackbelt is easy to attain then you have to question the worth of the rank.

I believe, but not positive, that that is the Chinese version of the Okinawan/Japanese Sai.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I have not seen that style of sai before.Very interesting.What is your style of kobudo called that uses that type of sai?I would think that design would be easier to make.I do think they may not be as effective for trapping and locking other weapons.But they are a unique design.Who makes them for you?What are the handles wrapped with?Are they custom made for the individuals arm size?Or do they come in only one size or maybe two or three choices of size?What are they made of iron,stainless steel,aluminum etc.?

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

I take chito-ryu yoshukai, and these zai are very good for trapping and locking other weapons. The handles are wrapped with nylon cord and are made in two sizes (adult and child size). They are made of iron or stainless, depending...

I believe that they are made by a private blacksmith.

Would that be William Domeitrichs lineage of Chitose's Chito Ryu?I train a similar style of weapons that his daughter(Devorah Domeitrich)teaches.Maybe the sai would work better than they appear but it looks like the opponents weapon may slip out because of the angled tines.Although the techniques may be easier to apply because of the wider opening of the tines.It would also seem that it would be easy to injure your own sides when retracting your punches.We hold our sai with both tines horizontal to the floor when they are by your sides/retracted.If your style holds them in the verticle position(one above and one below) when retracted it would not be a problem.

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

No, it's not the Domeitrich lineage. It's the Chitose-> Kasuoh Yamamoto-> Ray Nichols lineage ;-). They (the sais) are held vertically when by your sides.