• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being an expert on, but not in, the Martial Arts?

Conversely,

I've met a number of people that have trained martial arts for many years and have little understanding of the concepts, history, or strategies. Good topic Bushido!

Thanks, ps1.

I could be one of those that fall into the category that you mention. I don't know much of the history of TKD, other than what I have read in books. However, the history of TKD is so confused and mussed up, anyways, it is difficult to seperate fact from fiction. I have read up on other arts, but to be able to recite the histories verbatim, I could not do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice way to put it Bushido-man.

I guess the best practitioner is one who is an expert in and on. But I don't think there's anything too wrong with being an expert on a particular subject even though you don't necessary do it. As long as the person doesn't go around pretending they are the best practitioner around. Sometimes I think people should be doing more reading and studying as it does help sometimes to understand the more finite concepts and reasons why.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Lots of them in academia. In my field, they are called 'armchair anthropologists'. That's not a compliment, BTW. :lol:

One is expected to do the time in 'field work'...'hand's on', first person, experiential data collection. Sadly, many people move on and 'mine' their initial fieldwork for decades. Kinda like...the martial artist that gets too fat, lazy or tired to continue to train...but sells books.

Perhaps this will just go around in circles, but what the hey!

I was thinking about this because I do a ton of reading. There is enough information out there today that one could become an expert on the topic of the Martial Arts without ever doing a single punch or kick or takedown. Now, this person may not be someone you could approach about self-defense experiences, but realistically, one could learn the concepts and strategies, histories and philosophies about the Martial Arts in general, or one in particular, without really practicing one.

Thoughts? :-?

Leaves fall.

I think at times, we all believe we are experts in something. I know that I am an awesome armchair quarterback. I can't believe the NFL hasn't called me yet with all the experience I have. :P

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I think at times, we all believe we are experts in something. I know that I am an awesome armchair quarterback. I can't believe the NFL hasn't called me yet with all the experience I have. :P

Interesting analogy! There are a lot of fans who can discuss football intelligently that have never played in an organized league. I'm sure some have even never played pickup games! That doesn't necessarily mean they know less about the strategies and nuances and histories of the sport.

I think having only book knowledge would severely hinder anyone's understanding of martial arts, but it could still be possible for him to become an expert, just not the same kind of expert as someone with decades of personal experience.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Exactly! I know alot about football. I love it. Yet, I don't believe I could be an asset to a team. Although, I am a huge Buffalo Bills fan, and I am not sure I could really hurt them either. :lol:

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

In the same way that you can have say, a military historian who has never served in the military, I think you could have an expert who isn't a practitioner. People with plenty of knowledge in style histories, life stories of masters and lineages are great to have on hand. Those with a lot of knowledge of what tactics were supposed to be employed are nice to have on hand.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Bushidoman! You forgot the 'Baseball fan' analogy so often brought up! For shame :wink:

At my rate of training (too busy at the moment), I feel more and more like an armchair warrior. Yet I can still describe a basic escape from guard and scarf hold, good martial arts for your body type, etc. Thing is I can't always back up my words. Thus I think that there is something to knowledge but I respect the knowledge of someone with first hand experience on the subject a little more as they can actually practice what they know.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Bushidoman! You forgot the 'Baseball fan' analogy so often brought up! For shame :wink:

Doh! My bad!! Thanks, NightOwl! :lol:

Great discussion so far, everyone. I am really enjoying everyone's thoughts on this.