• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being an expert on, but not in, the Martial Arts?

Perhaps this will just go around in circles, but what the hey!

I was thinking about this because I do a ton of reading. There is enough information out there today that one could become an expert on the topic of the Martial Arts without ever doing a single punch or kick or takedown. Now, this person may not be someone you could approach about self-defense experiences, but realistically, one could learn the concepts and strategies, histories and philosophies about the Martial Arts in general, or one in particular, without really practicing one.

Thoughts? :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely Bushido, I believe a person could have great knowledge in any subject without ever physically being involved. It would be like a person who is so intrigued in being a pilot that they know everything about planes and flying but never have the actual flying experience. I still wouldn't trust them to pilot a plane I might be on.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Priceless!

Aren't internet forums full of the sort of people that you are describing?

Yes, you can become knowledgeable about MA and even an authority in some respects, but books and the internet are no substitute for real life training experience.

Whilst the "information super-highway" has added incredibly value to the understanding of MA IMO, it has also led to a lot of people thinking they are experts when in fact they are not!

Way back in the dark ages when I started training, we had no internet and for that matter Karate was Karate (I didn't know we were doing a specific style). The point is, I did exactly what my sensei told me, without question. Didn't understand a lot of it but also did not question it. I had no means to (IE the internet). I flatter myself that I did not turn out too bad after all these years.

There is a growing risk however that too many people having become "experts" in MA from the internet, walk in to Karate Dojos with pre conceived ideas as to what is wrong or right.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for establishing good visibility in terms of what you are attempting to embark on and for that, the internet is brilliant.

There comes a point however when the book worm must put down his book and don a gi and start "feeling it" through the red hot forge that is the dojo!

And I feel sure that you all know that feeling!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Definitely! Science is like that too, which is why employers require undergrad lab work, because they were getting new employees that had 3.8 gpa's but weren't comfortable using micropipeters :) I think this is kind of the same thing.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Definitely! Science is like that too, which is why employers require undergrad lab work, because they were getting new employees that had 3.8 gpa's but weren't comfortable using micropipeters :) I think this is kind of the same thing.

I take it that a 3.8 grade point averege is good then in the US college system? Not that we have gpa's here in the UK i just feel flash for knowing what it is!.

Our uni system delivers 1st's, upper seconds, seconds, and thirds.

FYI.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Oops- sorry :) yeh, our grades (for some odd reason) are out of 4.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I certianly think you're right buhsido-man, it's entirely possible. And in fact, as long as people realize what it is that they do, I have no problem with it.

There is a great historical side to the ma's, for instance. It's not an aspect that I'm heavily into, even though I certainly appreciate it. I'm therefore glad that someone out there serves to keep it alive. If that person dosen't train then I'm ok with it.

Certainly, they could also intellectually understand tactics and strategies. As long as they're not continually running their mouth off about what a great fighter they are, it's fine. And yes, the internet has certainly become a hotbed for that kind of activity.

That's part of the reason I appreciate this forum so much. It's well regualted and the participants all seem to be above that sort of thing.

A little plug for KF there :) .

I think that Zanshin and tallgeese are right on the same page, and I agree with you both. I think that this is something that MMA may begin to contribute to, as well. The casual fight fan may have an interest in MA knowledge, as opposed to physical skill.

Conversely,

I've met a number of people that have trained martial arts for many years and have little understanding of the concepts, history, or strategies. Good topic Bushido!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."