• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

changing kata?

tdk539

ive got a question. recently the creator of the style of karate i take decided to change all of our kata. personally, i kinda took this as a slap to the face, i mean i wasted alot of time and money learning the old ones, but anyway, the real question is, is this common? I was told its never happened in our style before, but since he's on a role, do you think that i should expect the kata to change again?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

out of curiosity,...what style are you studying?.

We've been faced with "corrections" to our kata (that we were told WE were doing incorrectly) that "looked" like changes. But, after seeing these corrections (and having the explanations given) it actually did appear that we had not been "paying close enough attention" to see what we were doing "wrong". There's also the possibility of "basic" & "advanced" versions of kata, (you didn't actually state the changes? were they "Major" changes?)

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com

ive got a question. recently the creator of the style of karate i take decided to change all of our kata. personally, i kinda took this as a slap to the face, i mean i wasted alot of time and money learning the old ones, but anyway, the real question is, is this common? I was told its never happened in our style before, but since he's on a role, do you think that i should expect the kata to change again?

When you say change, is it little adjustments here and there, or completely changing the shape and form of of the kata. There is a world of difference.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

out of curiosity,...what style are you studying?.

We've been faced with "corrections" to our kata (that we were told WE were doing incorrectly) that "looked" like changes. But, after seeing these corrections (and having the explanations given) it actually did appear that we had not been "paying close enough attention" to see what we were doing "wrong". There's also the possibility of "basic" & "advanced" versions of kata, (you didn't actually state the changes? were they "Major" changes?)

nope, the kata's themselves have been completley changed, some removed, some added. btw, chinese goju.

When you say change, is it little adjustments here and there, or completely changing the shape and form of of the kata. There is a world of difference.

some have just been tweaked, but then there are those that i don't recognize anymore.

Edited by tdk539

One of the reaonss traditional arts that have set forms are better IMO.

Not to say what your teacher done was bad or wrong.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Not knowing the reason would bother me a great deal, especially if I was training in that style for a long time. Are they saying that everything you learned up until now was not good?

My Sensei shows me little tweaks to the Shotokan kata's that I practice and many of these tweaks are not from my style but he always tells us why he does them and where he got them from.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org