• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

essay about plausibility of "Ultimate Fighter"

Hi everyone!

been awhile since I've posted, but I need some input if possible. The paper I'm wriiting will explore the similarities/contrasts of what is portrayed on Ultimate Fighter compared to traditonal martial artists. :idea: It would be helpful if everyone who has seen it could give an opinion or describe something that is/isn't typical. I want to be as objective as possible and you guys can be of great help, so please comment :roll:

It was assigned today and due Thursday. :o

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well in MMA your cardio is of a higher importance then in many traditional MA. But similarly they drill techniques pretty endlessly (different techniques of course) Also your traditional school will probably teach more street oriented techniques while MMA is more about competing.

Not sure what else your looking for :-?

but glad to help if I can

There is no teacher but the enemy.

thnaks for your input. I wonder if the general population adopts the idea that a school that teaches Mixed martial arts will turn them into the Ultimate Fighter. We know better but do they? I am wondering if the differences are that obvious to anyone else than me. I know that not every serious athlete acts like they act on UF.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

Nike Ad.

I think that the general public views The Ultimate Fighter and Mixed Martial Arts as what those MMA athletes train in. Most Mixed Martial Artists get into the sport in order to compete. Not all, but I would say most.

The MMAs will have more of "gym" approach to training than the typical "traditional" MA approach, where time is spent on basics, then forms, and then sparring. The MMA training will be based more on drilling, with a lot more partner work and sparring.

What about typical behavior on the show ? Do you think their behavior is a generalization for all 18-34yr old Mixed martial artists or just Ultimate fighter ones, and how does the general public know the difference if they aren't martial artists themselves.

Nike Ad.

I think that their behavior is just about typical for a reality show. When you put someone on TV, they don't usually want to look dull and boring. After all, this is their 15 minutes of fame, so to speak.

Now, I am sure that some of them aren't the nicest people in the world. However, these people come from all walks of life, including the TMAs. We just don't see them because there isn't a TMA reality TV show.

Bushido man is right. The typical mma-er, probibly not. But for a reality show participate...

Remember, they engeneer the house on the show to produce drama. The keep all these young athletes, and their egos and rivialries in a confined space. Don't let them out, or watch tv or anything. And then they feed them beer. Hilariaty is bound to ensue. It makes for better tv. not to mention editors can cut all that footage to exaggerate or hide any behavior they see fit.

Take the behavior with a grain of salt. But then again, most of these dudes are in there early 20's so you never know :) .

I agree, for a reality show the producers are probably making a point to pick specific entertaining and conflicting personalities.

I think that it has it should be considered, too, that real martial arts vary widely. Some TKD's are very "sport" oriented. Many muy thai schools' workouts look a lot more like that in TUF compared to my school where we fight with nearly the same rules, but we do less "working out" and more technique and we throw in a good bit of traditional stuff too. Anyway, the point is that "real MA" is so broad that you could probably find a group of people for whom their training is basically TUF minus the cameras, and you could also probably find people for whom training is absolutely nothing like it.

Just a thought- sorry for the ramble :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu