• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After taking some martial arts when I was younger, I am looking to get back to training and growing.

I need help picking a school in the Atlanta area. I have looked at ju-jitsu, kung fu, mma, etc. I realize that choosing a style is a starting point, but beyond that, I seem to have trouble deciphering what is real and what is a McDojo for lack of a better term.

Any advice is appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Really you just need to go to a few schools and take some trial memberships. Most schools have them. Do what style fits you best.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Also remember that its not always the style, its often the instructor. If you think a styles awsome but the instruction sucks, what good is that? Make sure if you take any trial lessons or programs that you are being instructed by someone who will be teaching you, not someone who helps out in classes from time to time.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Bottom line is, are you getting what you want out of the class. Really look at the reasons you want to train and check different places out to get a feel for them. Making sure that your goals match those of the school will go a long way to making the process fulfilling to you.

I realize that my question is fairly open ended. I am interested in a few different styles, but mainly in that I receive good instruction. I have a list of a few places that I will check out. Hopefully, one will feel like home.

Hope you find something and somewhere you like. As said above the style itself its going to matter that much, its more the teacher and school as a whole.

You may want to check out this thread for some help:

http://www.karateforums.com/what-are-the-right-questions-to-ask-vt31895.html

Welcome to the forums :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 1 month later...

I agree with doing as many trial lessons as possible. Other things to watch for:

1. Contracts- if you have a quality school, I don't see a need to lock you into it for a year.

2. NASCAR Gis- I also fail to see the need for stars, patches, stripes, silkscreening, and thunderbolts. Any of these by themselves is fine, but I've seen them all on one gi. A good McDojo indicator.

3. Badmouthing the competition- No need for this, a customer has free will, but I've seen it alot.

Asking how long the period is between belt/rank advancement. If it seems rather fast, - that's a dead giveaway it's a McDojo.

Some other things you could ask:

When you test for rank, what are the requirements for testing?

Who teaches the class? The actual instructor, studio owner, student teaching, etc...

If there are student teachers, what classes do they teach and how often?

If I was about to join a karate school, I'd want to be taught by the senior instructor and not a brand new blackbelt or an "on-my way-to-be-a-teacher kind of student"

How often can you attend class? Are there specific classes for specific things? A weapons only class, a sparring only class, or is everything lumped into one?

Edited by Tiger1962
"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

After taking some martial arts when I was younger, I am looking to get back to training and growing.

I need help picking a school in the Atlanta area. I have looked at ju-jitsu, kung fu, mma, etc. I realize that choosing a style is a starting point, but beyond that, I seem to have trouble deciphering what is real and what is a McDojo for lack of a better term.

Any advice is appreciated.

Boxing

Wrestling

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu