• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

+1 for bushido's take on the mindset training involved here.

I'd rather work my focus during simulatins of combat of one type or another. This way you're more realistically mimicing the conditions in which you'll need to utilize that focus. In this instance a fight. And while not even close to the adrininline response of a fight, hitting mitts is way clsoer than writing. Sparring even more so.

I'm not saying that there is no value. Just that there may be methods more taylord to what you're trying to accomplish in the ms's than this particualr method. But if you enjoy it, go for it and utlize it in whatever way you can.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I never said it should "replace" or even "equates" to other forms of practice. I asked if it was used by anyone as a "supplement" to their training. I agree that other forms can physically aid in one's practice more, but when you don't have others to assist and/or the “situation” doesn't allow for it, then this is just an alternative and pursues your “training” in another direction.

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com

I know this is going to sound a bit ignorant and simplistic, but in the film Hero both Flying Snow and Broken Sword practice calligraphy as a supplement to their swordplay. I can't remember exactly but it is explained that it requires the same mind and precision.. or something like that. Might have to watch the film again.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Just because a training method is dated does not mean that it isn't effective. Besides, there is so much more to self-defense and fighting than just physical skills...the Masters knew this long ago.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/