• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being a personal interest of mine, I was curious as to whether very many people practiced “Shodo” (as a supplement to their MA). I presume that any kendo or Iaido students would, but I have met very few others who do. I've found the correlation between “open” hand techniques and Shodo “motions” & “strokes” very interesting (much like the sword arts do). There's also the “meditative” aspect to consider.

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Writing all the beautiful characters of the Japanese language in nice flowing ink. And he is pretty good.

Difficult art.

Like most Japanese arts they have the kyu and dan ranking system.

Lee Richards

Kenshukai

An OyataTe International School

"I am not really familiar with Shodo. Can you elaborate a bit more on it?"

Shodo (as was already stated) is the translated as “The Way thru writing”. It's the practice of brush writing (oriental kanji or “characters” ). There are specific strokes and order of placement of them, that are “deemed” correct, and how the individual strokes are formed (to be “correct”). There are probably as many different schools of Shodo, as there are of Karate in Japan. I happen to study with

“NIHON SHUJI KYOIKU ZAIDAN” (Japan Calligraphy Education Foundation, they do have a website). They are a “non-profit” outfit that has world wide schools. Their main purpose is promotion of Japanese Cultural Arts (Shodo, being one of them).

The reason I “assume” that an Iaido or Kendo practitioner would be familier with it, is from meeting and having discussions with an instructor (whom wrote several books on Shodo that I have) about the subject.

(If your really Bored)

I do know that Musashi was a caligrapher as well. Whether or not it would be a supplement to MA practice, I don't know. I wouldn't think so, anyways.

“Whether or not it would be a supplement to MA practice, I don't know. I wouldn't think so, anyways.”

And I can definitely understand that. I didn't much either, until my conversations with Mr. Sullivan about “Shodo”. He had went to Japan to study Iaido. To be accepted, they required that he study either Shodo, or Tai chi. He saw no value (HIS opinion) to Tai Chi, and took up Shodo. It was through him I was introduced to the correlation between Shodo and Iaido (and taking it further,”Te” ). Many of Shodo's “concepts” and teachings have a direct relation to the study of a martial art (It “was” one of the 7 budo practiced by the samurai). The most “easily” recognized is the concept of “one chance, one technique”, (which should be recognized by anyone who's read about any of the older MA sayings). Iaido's version is “one encounter, one (sword) stroke”, Karate uses “one encounter, one strike”, Shodo uses “ one chance, one stroke”. All very similar (and often written the same way), but with the same thought, “you only get one chance to make it happen correctly”. With a combat situation, this “should” be an obvious “mental attitude” to train with. With Shodo, the tools used do not allow you to “go back and fix” an incorrect stroke, therefore one has to do it correctly the first time. And, with Shodo you can go back and see exactly what you did wrong (no ability to fake or “cover” it up). All of the “famous” Swordsmen” of Japan were well known for their calligraphy skills and Kendoka as well as Shodoka often use reprints of famous people's calligraphy to copy (supposedly to “copy” their “spirit”).

There are numerous “other” things that relate to MA's, from“meditation” during the grinding of the ink sticks, to the kanji used when writing poems or sayings, and not to forget, the breathing techniques used while brushing the kanji (which parallels the standard breathing during MA). Individual brush strokes can be “related” to individual hand techniques, or whole kanji representing complete defense techniques (Read Oyata's book, he even mentions it). I began my study of Shodo while working in Denver (as I had nothing else to do of an evening, when not at my Job) and I had no “Dojo” conveniently located close to my local.

There was an individual offering lessons close to where I was staying, and I could participate in two, 2hr/week classes. I worked with him for approx. 5 months, then upon returning home I joined the association. They started me at 4th kyu (I was “ranked” by the first assignment I sent in), and I (eventually) reached the level of Shodan (and now Jun-Nidan). I received a Menkyo, which allows me to “teach” all the basics. If anyone wants to know about the association (or anything related to Shodo, or kanji) I'd be happy to answer if I'm able. I also have a large resource of literature (in regards to the subject). It's often proven “interesting” seeing how some people “use” kanji on web sites, and seeing the quality (or Lack there-of) of the kanji utilized. Although I'm far from fluent in the language, I'm at least knowledgable about the kanji (and the correct methodology of “brushing” them).

(If your really Bored)

It sounds to me that you are more of taking a state of mind when it comes to doing something, as opposed to it having actual combat applications. And I am not saying that it has no benefit; we can find the benefit in many things. Basically, it comes down to the fact that any job worth doing is worth doing well.

My dad had a saying along the same lines: there are two ways to do a job; right, or again. This is basically the same principle; strive to do the job right the first time.

I would also point to the fact that you could probably find as many great warriors in history that were illiterate as were literate.

“it sounds to me that you are more of taking a state of mind when it comes to doing something, as opposed to it having actual combat applications”

You don't feel that a “state of mind” has combat applications? “Perfection of technique” as a training goal, I would think, would be a fairly “common” pursuit amongst MA. Haven't you ever heard an instructor tell a class to “concentrate” on their training? To maintain a serious attitude while training? Having the correct “state of mind “ applies to most anything we choose to do. Most all of the famous warriors (eastern or western) have stressed (or “obsessed”) integrating their chosen skill with everything they've done. Literacy, was not the focal point, being that eastern literacy was a more "visual" art, it was simply “another” way to (obsess, LOL) practice their pursuit of “excellence” in technique (be it with a sword, or a brush).

(If your really Bored)

You don't feel that a “state of mind” has combat applications?

I do agree that a state of mind is important to combat applications. However, I feel that I can develop this state of mind practicing combat applications better than I can by performing calligraphy. I do think, as I mentioned earlier, that you can apply the same frame of mind to doing different things. I just don't think that practicing calligraphy or shodo is as beneficial to combat training as combat training itself is.