• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why we do, this thing we do....

I started because my son was desperate to try out Karate (after watching the Matrix if I remember rightly..) and it was easier to join in rather than drive back and forth.

I have kept going because rather than the self defence aspect, its more the body science: I want to be abe to control my body rather than my body dictating to me what can be achieved

Its also a good way to relieve stress!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train for a number of reasons I guess. I'd always loved watching MA films when I was in primary school and although I'd never explicitly said anything I think my parents kinda guessed after the number of times I watched Enter the Dragon. My parents wanted me to keep do something that was active and one of Dad's friends had done Taekwon-Do. I didn't know what it was but it was MA and it sounded foreign :P. Loved it from my first lesson and haven't stopped since.

Compared to other stuff I did MA is just so different. I hated team sports but I also hated solo sports too. MA kinda combines the two and there is so much to it. With things like netball and tennis I found that it was a bit limited for me. It was like you learnt to hit or throw the ball and that was it. All you had to do was go away and improve it, you didn't really learn anything different each time like you do with MA. And with MA there is a whole other side if you want it, the history and philosophy and politics to it.

Another major thing for me is the people I've met through it and the confidence and discipline I've gained. As I kid I was a bit shy but now I'm not really bothered by stuff. Going through high school none of my friends would really talk to anybody new or anybody older but I can get on pretty well with people I haven't met before or who aren't my immediate peer group. The discipline too passed over to my school work and definately helped with studying for my exams. The club I train at has such a great group of people too so actually enjoy spending time there, if it wasn't such a nice group of people maybe I wouldn't have liked MA so much.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 1 month later...

I dont really remember the original reasons I started...I believe it was more because of my parents urging as a little kid (ya' know...discipline issues and such lol)...Now I continue because I enjoy the physical, and intellectual challenges that the life protection arts uniquely offer.

fwiw,

--josh

I started because I wanted to learn how to fight. Turns out, not much has changed over the years. I'm still trying to figure out hte best way to do that.

I could say that it was an adiction, because it certainly is. The cool factor helped start me out. It put me in the dojo on that first day.

After that though it was the challenge. I've enjoyed hard work and discpline all my life. Martial arts put that there in front of me as well as the intellectual challenge of streatching my mind around the techniques that I was working with.

In addition I think I like the push physically. That getting in there and mixing it up is a personal challenge. It's not competition in the direct sense, but gy God, I'm not going to give in, quit or back off just because I'm tired, hurt or over matched. Because of that I know I've got to train harder, think a little more and work on getting my technique a little bit cleaner than they were the day before. So...I can't quit training.

Sure, I may never put them to use in a real life situation, though I did apply a few things once or twice at my last job, but like others, it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

I also enjoy the honesty and commardery of the training. I've got a great bunch to work with, skill, hard working and without the sense to quit. I was talking with one of the guys I train with after a work out. What came out of the conversation was that you really, really get to know the people you fight and train with. Think of the tea house fight in the second Matrix movie. you never truely know a man until you've fought him. Train hard enough and long enough and your in the same boat. The person your assured to get to know is yourself.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Saw the Kung Fu TV show as a kid. Mesmerized, I thought it was some kind of magic. A week later, a local dojang put on a demo at our school, and an old guy beat the snot out of his students with a rolled up newspaper. From that point on, I was hooked, and there was no going back. I collected every book and magazine I could find, and mail-ordered weapons I had no clue how to use. My bedroom furniture suffered at my developing nunchaku skills. I do it now because it is a large part of me.

When I was younger, I got held up at gunpoint on two separate occasions & both times I just froze. That's not to say now I would fight off someone with a gun. Hell no!

Growing up I've always hated feeling intimidated by people and "not in control" of certain situations. Even something simple like someone cutting a line in front of me or being pushed in a train station. That, plus, I've attempted several different sports growing up and man, I was awkward at all of them. When I saw a martial arts school open up where I live, I thought, why not...I can always quit if I don't like it. And every week I'd say to myself, I'm going to quit at the end of this week.....8 years later.....I'm still there !! LOL

So I guess my main reasons are: mental empowerment & physical fitness.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

As I was browsing the topics in the forums, reading responses to various questions, it got me wondering just “Why” (we) practice these various forms of martial arts? For some, it's a matter of “job proficiency” and the fact that they are likely to be involved with altercations ie. Police, security personnel etc of which, most individuals in those professions rarely go beyond their agency's teachings . But for the average “Joe/Jane”, who (odds are) will never be involved with a situation in which this training will be of little to any direct value what-so-ever, what exactly makes them choose to participate (pay money, spend time, sweat, be sore, risk the many possible minor injuries ect.) in an activity which frankly, they will never utilize or even be presented with the situation to “justify” the use of ?

For myself, I enjoy the teaching and learning aspects (I also find the subject very interesting). I have never made any “real” money out of teaching it. But I have a great time learning new techniques and teaching classes, seminars ect. I was curious, what are most individuals motivation to “training”?

I practice because I like the constant challenge and constant growth forced on me by practicing effective martial arts. Brazilian Jiu Jtisu, boxing and wrestling keep me constantly improving and constantly striving for some new technique or goal.

I have a few reasons for practicing martial arts..

The first is because I thought it was neat. I first got into it over five years ago because of talent show at our school. One kid came in with boards and a red belt tied around his waist. The rest is self-explanatory.

Since then, I have found more reasons to keep pursuing the martial arts. I'm a person who likes a challenge... so karate is right up my alley. Aikido, sparring, tournaments... it gets your adrenaline going, and puts you under pressure, mentally and physically.

And although I probably won't need to actually use it, it's nice to have skills to rely on in case I do, like Throwdown said.

Karate has also affected me on a more personal level. I have more confidence in myself, I'm respectful towards others, and I've found myself able to be extremely calm under pressure outside of the dojo as well.

Not to mention, it's great for relieving stress. ;)

It's more than just a martial art. It's responsibility and respect. It's friendship and trust. But most of all, it's a passion.

• 1 month later...

I was looking through past postings/topics, and found this one to be especially interesting, in that we put so much of ourselves into the martial arts, and yet sometimes I wonder if remember/think about why we became involved. Let's face it; it is a commitment.

I especially looked for what applied to me, but that others had stated it first.

Throwdown maintained, "I would rather have the training and never have to use it then need to use it and not have the training," and DC supported this by saying, [A]lthough I probably won't need to actually use it, it's nice to have skills to rely on in case I do, like Throwdown said."

This is really "self-defense" to me; not to be looking for an altercation, and yet not to be on the receiving end, either.

Tiger observed, "Growing up I've always hated feeling intimidated by people and 'not in control' of certain situations," which was actually my problem growing up as a male who was not as strong as other males, and who wasn't taught by my father how to fight--"how to take care of myself" as was said in the past.

This brought me to thoughts by Brokensword, "One major thing I've gained from my training is to be more confident and sure of myself," and DC, "Karate has also affected me on a more personal level. I have more confidence in myself . . ." When I weight-trained, I gained a boost in self-esteem, and when I started studying martial arts, it was a true confidence-builder in social situations.

I have to say that Johnmcc's posting, "I started because my son was desperate to try out Karate . . ." reminds me of how I returned to martial arts because of my sons, who profit in physical development and emotional stability (as they are special needs), and they can go at their own pace--you compete against yourself. They really want to go to karate class, and when I practice with them, it's a father-sons thing that I wouldn't give up for the world. Studying karate on my own (adult) days only helps me keep fit physically, and sound emotionally.

My boys, David and Patrick, will receive their promotion to orange belt (from white belt with eight stripes signifying times of progress) during October, and Dad is working on getting an adult stripe on his orange belt. I'd better get that stripe or my boys will outrank me!

David: :karate: Patrick: :karate: Dad: :D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu