• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

For me, like others it's about confidence. I was a pretty wussy, weak kid and it started to annoy me after years of being "the weak, little girl". I did gymnastics which kept me in good shape, but karate gave me confidence. I have had to defend myself before and knowing I at least have a bit of knowledge in how to defend myself is comforting. Plus, I love the challenge adn the thrill of pushing myself.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

I did gymnastics which kept me in good shape, but karate gave me confidence.

In a conversation with my instructor, I mentioned to her that I thought that persons with a background in dance had an advantage when starting karate; she agreed, but further suggested that a person with a background in gymnastics also had that advantage.

Plus, I love the challenge adn the thrill of pushing myself.

Putting the "warrior" in "dragonwarrior"! :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I did gymnastics which kept me in good shape, but karate gave me confidence.

In a conversation with my instructor, I mentioned to her that I thought that persons with a background in dance had an advantage when starting karate; she agreed, but further suggested that a person with a background in gymnastics also had that advantage.

Plus, I love the challenge adn the thrill of pushing myself.

Putting the "warrior" in "dragonwarrior"! :karate:

:D Of course. Gymnastics was helpful, especially for kick flexability. My old sensei suggested that all of us should take a belly dancing class to improve our hip movements. The guys went like this :o

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

There is no doubt about it that someone who has been classically trained in a movement based art (dancing / performing) will pick up the shapes of Karate far quicker than the average Joe.

In my experience though, sometimes that can be a disadvantage.

When I first started teaching I had a couple of dancers train at the club, and I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, but in time I came to realise that although their karate looked good despite my efforts to teach them (and believe me I worked hard), they couldn't fight for toffee - cause they didn't really want to.

But of course it is down to the individual, I now that, but perhaps what I am trying to say is dont assume that because someone appears to know how to move (flexibility / awareness of form etc.) it makes them a fighter.

It that word "Intent" again.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

When I first started teaching I had a couple of dancers train at the club, and I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, but in time I came to realise that although their karate looked good, they couldn't fight for toffee.

It that word "Intent" again.

Hmmm . . . Looks like you've got to want to "mix it up" to make your skills pay off. It reminds me of a friend's brother who was average at kata, but was aces at sparring. This was at the time when karate was bare-knuckled, and "light" contact could feel pretty rough. The art was Isshinryu. He received a rapid promotion from white to green belt (I don't know if they've added belt colors since then), because he had to have something higher than white belt when battling the brown belts. His specialty was the back kick; not a spinning back kick, but a "straight back" donkey kick, and he could first kick back with one leg, have it land, then switch to kick with the other. He made brown belt before leaving for the police academy.

I still think that gymnastics and dance will give a student a beginner's advantage in terms of skill/acquisition of proper technique. After that, there's the mindset; are you there for self-defense or not?

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yoga also helps in being flexible at martial arts. When I stopped practicing it, I noticed a decreased flexibility.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Not everyone has that switch, that "killer instinct" that they can turn on and off when they want to. Sometimes, you have to push someone really far and really hard to get it.

I agree intent is almost everything. Good tactical options are important as well, but the intent and will to use them is really what's most important. When you think about it, mindset is really the only thing that keeps ma from being just another form of dance.