• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi where to get this

skidoddle

Hello new member

Can any member give a good online site

to buy a gi for my son..................

do not know if he will be in karate for awhile

but best to save some money and get

one on the cheap that is not to bad

Any info appreciated

Thks Howard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi there, and welcome to the forums! :karate:

For your son, whom iam assuming is a child i'd suggest a light weight uniform. I don't know what color you're looking for, but since you used the term gi, im going to assume plain white or plain black.

i have used both of these retailers before and they have good quality for cheap prices. hope they help...

http://www.karatedepot.com/student-karate-uniform.html

http://www.martialartsmart.net/Uniforms_Karate.html

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Welcome to the forums! :D

Where abouts are you from? It would be probably more helpful if we could give you places nearer to you / same country so you wouldn't have to pay extortionate amounts for shipping.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I usually recommend buying gis and equipment from your school, especially for newbies. I've heard stories of people buying stuff or getting stuff as gifts that aren't acceptable at their school. Examples are V-neck uniforms at schools that use cross-over types or black gis at schools that only allow upper ranks to wear black. Plus, with kids, sometimes they really hate being different from the other kids in class.

Having said that, there are alternatives. Online stores are an option, but fit and quality are hard to determine until you actually get the gi. Be sure to check their return policy. There are more than a few brick-and-mortar martial art stores, but not in all areas, or some local school might have some type of pro-shop. Also, some sporting goods stores will have a martial arts section, but their selection is usually pretty limited.

Oh, and you're probably right to start with something inexpensive. Most new students don't last very long, especially kids. If your son decides to stick with it, he can get a better quality gi then. Just watch out for cheap junk. Some cheap gis have been known to start coming apart at the seams after only one or two washings! Others are light but should last several months or more depending on care an use.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 2 weeks later...

well online is one choice, going to your nearest martial arts store is another. at a martial arts store they usually allow try on before you buy :D i was told to get a size 5 or 6 cotton. woulda been to big. instead i went to the store and the store guy helped me and picked out a size 4/180 and it fits perfect. so i would try to find a store near you

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ~ Bruce Lee

i was told to get a size 5 or 6 cotton. woulda been to big. instead i went to the store and the store guy helped me and picked out a size 4/180 and it fits perfect.

Sizes will vary from brand to brand or even between models from the same brand. A Tokaido Ultimate size 5 will fit differently than an Adidas Elite and both will be different from an Adidas Mastergi.

I was a little surprised by the size 4/180 that shotkanka92 got. Adidas Karate gi sizing equates their size 180 to size 5 in the US. I guess even that changes from brand to brand. To further confuse things, Adidas Judo gi size 180 equates to US size 4!

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Hey, Welcome.

KarateDepot.com

But there are so many sites. Just pay attention to shipping rates, unless they are not a issue. another one a like is sakuramartialarts.com, I like them there shipping is a little more than karate depot like $5 more but they ship quicker.