• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what you can do to really help with your sweeps in practice Kazushi ( taking off balance ). then it becomes way more easy to perform the takedown or sweep..

Ahh "Kuzushi".. balance breaking. There is someone who has good training.

Hats off to you Throwdown.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you can do to really help with your sweeps in practice Kazushi ( taking off balance ). then it becomes way more easy to perform the takedown or sweep..

Ahh "Kuzushi".. balance breaking. There is someone who has good training.

Hats off to you Throwdown.

Thank you Zanshin :) sorry for the misspelling...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Hope some of it helps with what you're doing.

Throwdown makes a great point about taking the balace prior to sweeps. However you take the others center, it's a vital componant the whole process.

In our Hapkido training, my partner does a pretty good job of reminding me to break the balance in order to facilitate the takedowns. Using distraction techniques, dropping my center, and things like this. I just need lots more practice with it, for sure.

• 2 months later...

One thing I would like to add,

Some foot sweeps were altered when Jigoro founded Judo. This may be common knowledge to some of you, but its important to remember. Techniques like De Ashi Harai (Advanced Foot Sweep) and Hiza Gurama (Knee Wheel Throw) were changed to blocking the joint instead of stomping through the joint.

I once asked my sensei would those techniques be effective if an attacker was trying to punch my lights out and he told me that. Jujitsu can be brutal...

Some foot sweeps were altered when Jigoro founded Judo. . . .

Techniques like De Ashi Harai (Advanced Foot Sweep) and Hiza Gurama (Knee Wheel Throw) were changed to blocking the joint instead of stomping through the joint.

I wondered, Yos, would you know if someone who studies Judo is introduced to both, but one is practiced? Or does it depend on the individual instructor?

I've found that when the chief instructor is teaching at my dojang, she teaches what the art (Soo Bahk Do) officially approves, but when the assistant instructor is teaching, he'll let you know the "street" version.

"Stomping through the joint"? It sounds wicked.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I wondered, Yos, would you know if someone who studies Judo is introduced to both, but one is practiced? Or does it depend on the individual instructor?

I've found that when the chief instructor is teaching at my dojang, she teaches what the art (Soo Bahk Do) officially approves, but when the assistant instructor is teaching, he'll let you know the "street" version.

"Stomping through the joint"? It sounds wicked.

The Jujitsu class I attend is taught by my sensei who, while doing jujitsu for many years, also competed in judo. I would say we're almost a judo class. I can only make an assumption really. Based on reading serveral judo books, I cant recall any material about the changing of techniques. So I would have to say No, the general judo class probably doesn't cover techniques beyond the sport form. Of course I'm not basing that off observing judo classes - so I could be wrong.

we practice alot of foot sweeps once you reach rokkyu in my school. and we are introduced to the balance breaking techniques prior to learning the sweeps. once your rokkyu you should try to end alot of your attacks with sweeps so by the time you make sankyu you are ready to continue on the ground

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

Forgive me, but I like to refer to usage of techiniques in the context of MMA - I really only have that to compare to....call me a traditional guy that loves and trains in a lot of MMA.

Anyway, Lyoto Machida uses sweeps in the context of MMA very well. He uses the inside and outside forward leg trips very well and understands the timing - which really is all that you need to practice to use them effectively.

Silat, which is included in JKD, emphasizes many inside trips and unbalancing techniques that can be used effectively against someone that is moving. Or in the clinch.

There are quite few effective techniques that could be used in if they were practiced or drilled with a live partner coming at you with a variety of attacks or in free-sparring. I always say that if you can land a leg kick, a sweep is always an option.

I forgot to mention, but for those of you who have this theory(some of you may not, it is usually a high ranking theory), or any of you who have the basic idea of this theory...i've learned a lot from the opposite circles theory, applying to jujitsus(off balancing/takedown techniques). For those of you who don't know it, perhaps researching it or asking an instructor would be up your ally. It is a wonderful and confusing theory having to do with what's being said here.

Very hard to explain out of a dojo setting, though.

Referred to as "Kuzushi" in Japanese.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

Oops just spotted I already mentioned that in a previous post.

My thoughts on sweeps, Kuzushi, balance breaking call it what you will is that sometimes less is more.

Just do enough to off balance your oponent or break their posture (shisei) so as to leave them open for whatever you fancy next.

I like Bushi's mates approach of throwing in some feints in order to pre-empt a sweep.