• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Students Related to Instructors/Studio Owners

My instructor has always been tougher on his own kids. I have not seen any favoritism since I have been there.

This is what I have seen, mostly.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have seen it happen in my school. My instructor was particularly hard on his own child and very leniant on his wife. He treats the rest of the class as he treated his son. In that, I am grateful. In all honesty men, would you want to be really hard on the woman you have to go home and live with? :lol: If my husband treated me the way that my instructor treats us, I would kick the crap out of him. :brow:

Well, speaking for myself, personally, I would not want to be treated differently than the rest of the class - in either direction - be it tougher or more lenient. I would want to be treated as all the other students.

I train with my spouse sometimes and although we are not studio owners, when we first joined, we discussed this topic and agreed that when we are in class, we are fellow students and not "husband & wife" - meaning - no partiality or special treatment.

Now in regard to rules and regulations within a dojo, such as bowing in, speaking to the instructor in a respectful tone, etc., I have seen a student who is a relative of the head instructor not adhere to the same protocols as the other students are required to. Don't know if they've had a *private* talk about this or not, however I do know that if I or other students did that, we'd get "called on it".

....just an observation....

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• 3 weeks later...

My older brother was my first black belt and my wife was my fourth. I have my sister in law, and three nephews in class. I even taught my dad for a while.

It can be done, just be fair.