• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu Grading

Hi there new to this site.

I'm currently a yellow in Goju Ryu Karate.

I've been told by my Sensei that i will be Grading for my 8th Kyu (Orange Belt) at the begining of July.

I'm already pretty nervous about it but can anyone tell me what will i will have to do.

Although i'm sure i will get some practice in in class i also want pracitice at home so can any one shed any light on what i should be practising.

I know i should be practise all the things i did for my yellow belt but what additional things i nee d to know /Practise.

Thank in advance.

Cheers

Ben

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations to you. However, you should probably be asking your instructor what to practice as we are not students at the school. Most instructors have their own way of testing and their requirements may not be the same at your school as someone elses. You will be fine. Relax and have fun!

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Congratulations to you. However, you should probably be asking your instructor what to practice as we are not students at the school. Most instructors have their own way of testing and their requirements may not be the same at your school as someone elses. You will be fine. Relax and have fun!

I agree. Anything that we throw out here is going to be mere conjecture. We may get it half right, but not all right. Every school and instructor does their own thing with testings, so ask him and your fellow classmates. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :karate:

I agree with the above. Though you could probably make half a guess based on what usually happens regardless of style. If you've been taught any forms they would probably get tested. Likewise if you've been taught to spar. I suppose it would be safe to assume that anything you've learnt since becoming a yellow belt could be on. Still you should probably ask your instructor and there good luck to you! :karate: And in any case making sure you know everything you've ever been taught is a good failsafe as it'll help make you a better MAist if you're foundation is strong. :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Congrats and welcome! :karate:

But as everyone's said you need to ask your instructor what you're responsible for as we do not know your syllabus, style, or material. Best of luck to you though, keep us posted we'd be glad to hear!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

well, im 8th kyu rite now, and the test for me was easy. it involved combos, the kata, sidekicks, roundhouse kicks, front kicks, strikes, the blocks...basically train everything they hav shown u so far.

and im curious, are there stripes in your dojo? cuz im white belt w/ 2 stripes rite now and 8th kyu.

Some use stripes, and some don't. Sometimes the stripes are peices of tape on the end of your belt, sometimes they are a stripe of fabric through the belt (like a belt colored yellow white yellow). Also stripes mean different things. In some schools stripes are their own ranks, and students test for them at testings. At other schools stripes signify knowledge of a specific rank, such as one stripe for basics, one stripe for forms, one stripe for sparring, etc. These stripes are usually earned in class, and once the student has all of them for his/her rank then they test at a testing for their next kup/kyu/whatever.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein