• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Master Oyata?

Taokara

Yeah...what Hohan-1 said! You go bro! :karate:

That one touch thingy...I don't know that one. I'll hit my sensei up about that one. Thanks for the "hint". :)

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

If it works for you, run with it. If it doesn't, move on and find what does.

And thanks for that pearl of wisdom... :roll:

It's not brand new information. Just trying to insert pressure point application to kata bunkai.

Just because you learn how to strike a few pressure points does not mean that you know how to discern where, if at all, such strikes are located within forms. Not all forms contain such information. Some do, some don't. That's just the way of it. You may well see a similarity between a kata movement and a joint lock or a vital point strike, and if it helps you to remember that application, fine. That doesn't mean that that movement was really intended to be what you see, however.

I had 17 hand forms and 3 weapons forms with the Wah Lum style and they didn't mean squat. I had thrown them out for a while because they were more of a cardio workout than a martial art. When I started adding the pressure point ideas to them, it opened up a whole new meaning to my katas. I've started practicing them again with new questions and getting answers from them.

I blame your Wah Lum sifu for your lack of understanding of your forms. You should have gone and asked him for more info on the forms rather than thinking they were nothing more than Tae Bo. From one perpective, your sifu did you a great disservice by not teaching you what you were supposed to be doing. You did him a disservice by not asking him (I'm assuming you didn't since you didn't say you did... whatever). What I find almost amusing, though, is that you take information you received from a questionable source, mixed that into your former Wah Lum training, and now you claim to understand your forms... I wonder if you could have just practiced your basics more, basic strikes and basic joint locks/throws, and have understood your forms before worrying about mix and matching info with Dillmania's color by numbers kyusho...?

When it comes right down to it, who cares what George says, or Oyata. Have you found something that works for you?

Ultimately, it is an academic question. Cosmically, the answer may not have any real impact on things in the martial arts. Then again, you can start a huge diversion of a large object with only a very small and minor deviation in its path... The acceptance of questionable background stories and mysterious origins of information as factual (or even as sufficient for daily practice) diminishes the legitimacy of people whose stories do not vary depending on who they talk to or when they speak with them. It diminishes people who have spent decades training under one teacher, learning authentic techniques as opposed to people who train in a few seminars or are in possession of magical books imparting long lost knowledge.

Whatever. It is a debate that neither side is willing to bend on. The Oyata supporters (which camp I belong to) know that Oyata is a legitimate source of information. The Dillmania supporters (which camp I am obviously critical of) believe what they believe. To each their own. But in the end, there really are people that are right and people that are wrong. Only time will prove which camp is which...

one of taika oyata's students teaches very close to my area. they do kyusho tuite and atemi jutsu and they do ground fighting and full contact fighting with kata applications. if i could go to the past i would have joined that school