• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Master Oyata?

Taokara

My Sensei trained under him and he is supposed to be one of the best in the world yet I have never seen any of you talk about him. He was a acupuncture point karate master. Can anyone give me more info on him?

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillman like many others where shown KYUSHO ( PRESSURE POINT STRIKING ) and TUITE ( Joint Manipulation) by Taika Oyata when he first came over from OKINAWA. Dillman then trained for about 1.5 years with him then he started his own version and cranked out a series of books/tape/seminars claiming to have unlocked the secret of KATA.

The fact is Taika Oyata is a true OKINAWIAN KEMPO MASTER no flash , just true knowledge. In the late 80's and early 90's I trained under one of his senior students. I now train under Rick Moneymakers's DRAGON SOCIETY for this information since where I live there are no schools connected to OYATA. This is a lnk to OYATAS bio.

http://www.ryushu.com/oyata.html

I also recommend his book RyuTe No Michi , which posted under the suggestions for referance library thread.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Grand Master Dillman first learned of pressure point application by Grand Master Hohan Soken. Hohan Soken gave George a dairy of sorts that contained alot of pressure point information that he,his wife Kim, and many of his students (Rick Moneymaker was one of them for some time) had been studying. He trained under Sensei Oyata, Sensei Daniel K. Pai, Professor Wally Jay and others. He also trained with Muhhamed Ali, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, the late Sensei Ed Parker, too many others to mention. He gives great credit to all when ever he teaches at a seminar, in all of his books, and on his video tapes.

Dillman then trained for about 1.5 years with him...

While I wasn't there to see it, and I don't want to ruffle any feathers, I think it is important to state that this is a matter of some dispute. I have corresponded with current students of Oyata and their account was that Dillman successfully completed several seminars but was never in regular attendance of any of his classes. Oyata to this day does not acknowledge any relationship with Dillman including that of student-teacher.

Grand Master Dillman first learned of pressure point application by Grand Master Hohan Soken. Hohan Soken gave George a dairy of sorts that contained alot of pressure point information that he,his wife Kim, and many of his students (Rick Moneymaker was one of them for some time) had been studying.

This is not disputed, and is likely to be a more accurate regarding the primary origin of his pressure point knowledge.

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

On another note, I cannot praise Oyata's kata and understanding of weapons enough. He is truly one of the last Okinawan legends still alive.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

On another note, I cannot praise Oyata's kata and understanding of weapons enough. He is truly one of the last Okinawan legends still alive.

We can all agree, Shihan Oyata is the real thing.

We may not agree on Moneymaker or Dilman and that may say something in the long run. :wink:

"Oyata to this day does not acknowledge any relationship with Dillman including that of student-teacher. "

That's cause George ticked him off by being as open with his teachings as he is. It's like a father disowning a son.

I discussed this thread with a student of Dillman's who had several private conversations with him and his wife. He stated that in private Dillman claimed to have taken 4 to 5 seminars and 2-3 private sessions from Oyata within a year and a half period. Of course this is different from the account I got from Oyata's student who claimed that Dillman simply completed a couple of seminars and never had any private sessions. Either way, from both accounts, Dillman most definitely was not a regular or even really an irregular student of Oyata's.

That's cause George ticked him off by being as open with his teachings as he is. It's like a father disowning a son.

How would any instructor feel if someone attended a few seminars, spoke with you in private, and then went around claiming he learned a martial art/pressure point system from you? Heck, I can't imagine an instructor wanting to be used as a reference unless the person has attended regular classes for at least a couple of years. When someone asks me for my references I don't spout off every person I've attended a seminar from or spoken with in private. Really I don't understand why anyone uses Dillman’s name in the same sentence as Oyata's. At best they knew each other for a period of time, but Dillman was never Oyata's student. He simply shouldn't use Oyata as reference.

The way I understand it, Oyata just doesn't want his name used in reference to what Dillman teaches or does. Really the two are nothing alike and in the end have very little to do with one another. There may be other personal things going on as Oyata hasn't taken kindly to many of Dillmans statements, but to compare it to a father and son relationship is grossly inaccurate. From Oyata's perspective, the two barely met.

-Paul Holsinger