• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In a situation...need input

Okay, I'm 19 years old, have been practicing Taekwondo since I was 12. Unfortunately I think my school has been cursed with Mcdojang style isntructors. Before I was 12 I practiced WTF style TKD and only went to yellow belt. Afterwards, I started back up at 12 with my yellow belt. The instructor let me keep my yellow belt but simply work my way up. I made it to green under him, before he ended up seeling the school. He got into legal trouble as well...sexual harrasment etc. It's an embarrassment to have to train under someone like that. He claimed to be a 5th Dan...but we weren't even involved in WTF style sparring. We were more of a NASKA oriented school but did a mix of Taeguk and Palwge forms.

After he left, two newer instructors took over who were not only younger but better in my opinion at teaching. One was a 3rd Dan, the other 4th Dan. They tried to revitalize the school. The 4th Dan was able to teach us more self defense...he was a gold medalist in the Korean Olympics in grappling from what I understand. But he was very good at what he taught. Eventually, the 4th Dan left the school, leaving us with the 3rd Dan who was a competitor in a number of NASKA tournaments. We never used chest protectors, only gloves, foot gear and head gear but were told to watch our control. Under him I received my 1st Dan at the age of 17. However, he focused on certain students who were interested in competing. Personally I'd like to compete but it feels like the age I started I was too old. Now I stopped practicing there when I was 18 and then just a couple of weeks ago I saw a WTF style dojang nearby that was known in the past to have bad blood with my old dojang.

I went there and told them my story. I wanted to do traditional taekwondo style martial arts not the type that was done at my old school. They told me my old instructo (the 3rd Dan) did not practice what he preached. They even made me show them my certificate, which they claim is a fake because it was only signed by my instructor and asst instructor as opposed to their certificates which were signed by the president of the kukkiwon. It was a big blow to me, because I feel like I don't know who's real and who isn't. I signed up with these guys, because I have seen their names on numerous national tournaments on the usataekwondo website and I think they would be very good at teaching. They told me I'd still be able to compete regardless of my age. Personally I have only competed 3 times, which is nothing. They told me they would let me keep my black belt, but they wanted to get me back in shape first and then work on their curriculum that way I can get up to speed and officially be recognized as a black belt.

Am I doing the right thing here? I felt like a traitor in a sense to my old dojang because the instructor was very friendly and was a friend. I was always welcome at his school. Is it worth it for me to get into it again? It was kind of a blow to my morale because after the testing for my 1st dan (which was no walk in the park by any means) I feel like I did it all for nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If they are letting you keep your BB then they must think it's something. And keep in mind black belt isn't everything and will vary from school to school. As long as you are consciously interested in learning the best way possible through the most credible people, i think you're doing no wrong here. You have been through a rough string of bad dojangs and experiences and you deserve somethign that will be good for you as an artist and for your health. Don't feel like a traitor if anything the school has failed you, you have not failed them. A teacher should look for everything in your best interest.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I appreciate the advice...flexibility was never my strong side. I think it might be a genetic issue also because my father has had bad flexibility (my knees pop up when I stretch)..however I told my current instructor and he told me the best thing to do is stretch 2 times a day 15 minutes each time once in the morning and once at night...regarding my flexibility he told me to go down as far as I could until my knee was about to pop up, and basically hold it there and that will do the best job at giving me flexibility.

The key to gaining flexibility is slow but consistent. Start of slow do very low impact stretches but make sure you increase flexing and do it almost everyday.

I second what NE_KyoSa said. Don't feel bad at all if you old school wasn't providing you with what you wanted. And don't worry about the rank obviously you felt as though you deserved it and no-one can take away from you what you had to go through to earn it even thugh you don't have the right certificate to "prove" it.

As for the flexibility its a real issue with myself too. Its best to do a little and often. Even just getting used to relaxing in certain positions, eventually you will be able to push yourself further and further. Also be aware that certain stretches might not work for you as they cause discomfort or may your knees pop, there are loads of alternative things you can do.

PS. Welcome to the forums :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yeah, don't feel bad given the situation. You gotta go with what you are interested in doing.

As for the "all for nothing" black belt, don't ever think that. The cert. is a piece of paper. As long as your instructor signed it, and you put in the sweat for it, who cares if some headquarters somewhere didn't stamp it or such.

Keep your rank in it, be proud of it, and move on to learn things you are more interested in. Simple as that.

As for the "all for nothing" black belt, don't ever think that. The cert. is a piece of paper. As long as your instructor signed it, and you put in the sweat for it, who cares if some headquarters somewhere didn't stamp it or such.

Keep your rank in it, be proud of it, and move on to learn things you are more interested in. Simple as that.

I agree here. No one can take your accomplishments away from you; don't worry about what others may think about it. As long as you can be honest with yourself about it, then you are on track.

As far as leaving a school goes, the bottom line is that if you feel that your training will be furthered in a more productive way at the new school, then you should be all for it. If it has more of what you want, then you should do it. After all, this is your journey. Make the most of it.

My old instructor has found out about my actions. He was very hurt from what I understand and feels as if I betrayed him. I know the whole rules involving taekwondo as far as being loyal to your dojang. In the past I was very serious about that. Would that be considered the case here? I have now learned that the current dojang I attend and my former one are both VERY huge rivals. The two instructors hate each other. Apparently the one I currently have does enjoy talking down on my former instructor. I don't know what to think. My former school did more NASKA oriented martial arts, involving taekwondo. The instructor even spoke about switching his curriculum to XMA.

My current instructor said he would even go to the WTF and report my former one for giving out false certificates that had the WTF symbol on them. My former instructor is also a 3rd Dan. My current one is a 5th Dan, and now to be honest I feel I'm inside of a huge mess.

Apparently there has been a big rivalry between the two dojangs for years. I have only heard once about something with a previous owner, but in no way did I intend to have something like this happen. I e-mailed my current instructor and asked him to not take any action against my former one, as I said he was a friend of mine, and while I disagree with how I was taught, I don't want any of my actions to get him into any sort of trouble. The instructor responded and compared my former instructor to a person in ny that sells knock off products. I didn't appreciate that. Now I feel like I've dug myself into a hole I can't get out of. I signed a 6 month contract with this guy, and now to be honest I don't know if I want to do this anymore.

All I wanted to do was change the way I studied to a more traditional form. I was raised by traditions in my Italian roots. But this??? I don't appreciate this at all...this is all unfair. Did I really do something so bad?

To clear your conscience you may have to speak with your former teacher and tell him how you feel but don't feel obligated to someone who does not have your best interests at heart. There are always schools out there that get involved in dojang politics. Don't take it personally and just train.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Firstly, RELAX. This will settle, i promise. Politics like this in MAs happen daily...the dust will settle.

If this is going to affect you sleeping at nigth, i suggest you talk to both of them, your old instructor and your current. Explaining to the old one why you left and that it's part of your journey and it's something you needed to do. Staying with him wasn't the right direction for you, etc. I'd explain very respectfully to your current one, that although you left, you are not about to drag your old instructor's name through the mud. You still respect them for who they are, you just can't respect what they do. Tell him you'd appreciate if he'd not make ill statements about them or say them while youre not around.

If you can think you can live without talking to the both of them, and let the dust settle, that works too. I just think they'll be more ramifications if you don't talk to them. But relax, everything will work out. You made the right choice, you don't deserve to have this problem, but you can handle it.