• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My black belt test, results, and ceramony

Having one of my students finally pass to orange belt after a lot of hard work

Falling on my butt when learning a spinning back kick (I use this as an example to students who are having trouble with a particular technique)

Competing in forms and doing better than I had ever done before (still got last place, was up against people twice my rank and twice my experience)

When one of my 4 year old students could finally do 30 sit-ups (started when he was 3 and couldn't do any for quite a while)

When my sister got her first belt

Trying to dive roll over 6 or 7 kick shields and instead crashing through them like superman

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Trying to dive roll over 6 or 7 kick shields and instead crashing through them like superman

Hahaha. That's a classic. I think we've all done that! :lol:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Being brave enough to walk through the dojo door for the very first time, meeting some of the soundest individuals I know, and being introduced to this wonderful art.

I was hooked and have been ever since.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

The one that comes to mind right now was passing my 3rd dan testing. I worked really hard up to it, focusing on my board breaks a lot. I was most worried about the flying side kick over 3 obstacles, mainly because I am a touch heavy, and don't jump well. But I nailed all of my board breaks on the first try each, and I cleared the side kick with no problem. I think I was the only one that didn't bounce on any of my boards at that testing, too.

There are too many to count. The very first day I took class was amazing. I knew I was hooked. Obviously achieving all the ranks are great moments, but for me now, watching other students "get it" when Im teaching. Having them say to me when they leave, class was fun. It keeps me smiling all night.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• 3 weeks later...

Several years ago I was competing at a tournament and I received first place in my division. After that I became eligible to compete for Grand Champion with other first place winners of other divisions.

I did not win Grand Champion, however, I felt extremely honored and humbled to be competing in a group with other candidates for that title. I was literally speechless & never dreamed I'd be there.

Edited by Tiger1962
"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Favorite martial arts moment......as others have said, there are many.

My first one was my very first introduction to the MA....Bruce Lee's "Game of Death".....I was hooked! I knew then, at age 13, that's what I wanted to do.

Other moments are every time I learn a new technique, especially when I get how and why it works, which is why I love pressure point and vital point techniques, they are sooooooo cool!

One of my other favorites is back in high school ( a long time ago)....me and the gang went out one night to the local park for some "ninja games" as we called them. We broke up into teams and the last man standing was the winner and the loosing team had to buy the winning team Denny's afterwards. The Coupe de grau (?) was this....picture two guys facing off, they are the last ones standing, everyone else is standing around watching....neither one wants to make the first move because they know what the other person is capable of. So they stand there in their stances, doing what we all used to do, moving their hands back and forth, up and down, trying to figure things out.......when it happened......at the very same time, they both spun around to execute a spinning back kick.....and they both kicked each other square in the butt!!!!! They both lurched forward upon impact, hopping up and down holding their booties......I just started laughing again thinking about it.....you had to be there!!!!!

One of my last ones was when one of my former students was able to defend himself against a would be attacker, and he put the guy down with one shot, not even realizing what he had done until it was all over with. Rank and getting my BB was great, but nothing compared to knowing that I have been able to help people defend themselves from street punks, cause there's a lot of them around my city.

Blessings!

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation