• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Kicking" Arts

DWx, i don't think it would because i think the name "kickboxing " denotes that you have to use your feet as well as your hands in a boxing type atmosphere. i don't think it would apply because it puts an emphasis on both hands and feet rather than boxing that's just the hands.

Well likewise the same applies to Taekwon-Do (Foot Fist Way) which should in theory place equally amounts of emphasis on the hands and feet.

yeah but also in TKD tourneys, it is almost all kicks there...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
DWx, i don't think it would because i think the name "kickboxing " denotes that you have to use your feet as well as your hands in a boxing type atmosphere. i don't think it would apply because it puts an emphasis on both hands and feet rather than boxing that's just the hands.

Well likewise the same applies to Taekwon-Do (Foot Fist Way) which should in theory place equally amounts of emphasis on the hands and feet.

I think that "Kickboxing" denotes more of a rule set, than an actual style, but I could be wrong. A Kickboxer must incorporate kicks into the fight, but is not required to emphasize them.

As far as TKD goes, especially the Chang 'On style, it is important to keep in mind that this form set is derived in part from some Shotokan forms, so the influence is indeed noticeable. However, when you look into General Choi's encyclopedia, you see a lot of different kicks; more so than the hand techniques, I think.

Jeez that's a good question, and a hard one too. I'd have to say superfoot and chuck norris. Superfoot because he was just an incredibal fighter and chuck norris because he has great technique and he has roots in Tang soo do but created his own style chun kuk do, so i want to see how he changed the tsd kicks, if he did at all, and why.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Chuck would be fun to learn from. I have read a book by Roy Kurban, and I think he could teach me a thing or two about kicking, as well.

Superfoot's would be a fun seminar to go to.

You know i think superfoot still does seminars and whatnot. I'd be real interested to attend, but i bet it's real real pricy.

My instructor has a picture of him fighting with superfoot, of course superfoot has his foot at the top of my instructor's head but it's still a darn good picture. Lucky duck. :)

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Yes, Superfoot still conducts seminars throughout the world. It would be fun to get to one. That would be cool, to have a picture like your instructor does. Even if he is on the not-so-good end of it.

My instructors at my school have their picture taken with Joe Lewis. Even at his age, the guy is still a beast. You can just tell he is huge.

• 1 month later...

Been to a Superfoot seminar, best $50 I've ever spent. While anyone can learn from it, if you are an advanced kick-oriented practitioner, he will open concepts to you that will make everything you've learned suddenly make sense.

Beyond that, he's the nicest, funniest guy you would ever want to meet. Stayed way past his time to take pictures, sign autographs, answer questions, etc.

I really can't say enough nice things about this guy.