• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Kicking" Arts

What can you think of as primarily "kicking" oriented Martial Arts? Off the top of my head, I get:

Capoiera: Lots of kicking and evasion, but with some other forms of attacks.

Taek Kyon: A revival art in Korea, said to be the original, that is played more as a game, and has a similarity to Capoiera.

TKD: Very kick oriented, especially when it comes to Olympic sparring.

I have only read about Tang Soo Do for the most part, so would any TSD practitioners say that is as kick oriented as TKD is? Or its more of a balance?

Does anyone have anything else to offer as far as these or other kicking styles go?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd add Tang Soo Do as well.

Really, many karate systems seem to be drifting in that direction as well.

Savate/Box le Francase{Spelling?}: The West's kicking art. Much more so a kicking art than kickboxing.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Yes tang soo do specializes in kicking BUT i'd say it is definately more of a mix than TKD, but yes we are noted for our kicking abilities.

Can't think of any other styles off the top of my head.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Savate/Box le Francase{Spelling?}: The West's kicking art. Much more so a kicking art than kickboxing.

Ah, yes. I forgot about this one as well. A very good addition. They do have some very unique kicking techniques, and I think it is a very original fighting style.

I would argue the TKD one... Yes it does appears to more kicking oriented but it is called "Foot Fist Way" with equal emphasis on the fist. I read an article last year in TKD & KMA where this guy was trying to discern exactly what he thought TKD was and he worked out that in the Chang Hon pattern set, there are actually only 6 kicks up to blackbelt whereas there are 18 different hand techniques. Of course this is going to be different for the Poomsae, Taeguks etc. but what could be considered the core of the style, the forms, are mostly hand techniques not kicks. So is it really a kicking style or just more of a kicking style than others.

Would Kickboxing classify as a kicking MA?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

DWx, i don't think it would because i think the name "kickboxing " denotes that you have to use your feet as well as your hands in a boxing type atmosphere. i don't think it would apply because it puts an emphasis on both hands and feet rather than boxing that's just the hands.

DWx, i don't think it would because i think the name "kickboxing " denotes that you have to use your feet as well as your hands in a boxing type atmosphere. i don't think it would apply because it puts an emphasis on both hands and feet rather than boxing that's just the hands.

Well likewise the same applies to Taekwon-Do (Foot Fist Way) which should in theory place equally amounts of emphasis on the hands and feet.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

which should in theory place equally amounts of emphasis on the hands and feet.

yes, exactly like you said, in theory. your school probably places emphasis equally on both, but i think Bushido's saying that a lot of schools have placed the majority of their emphasis on kicks. so in theory, yes if it literally means the hand foot way. but realistically i think he's saying that most schools have changed to make it mainly a kicking style. good for your school though, if they have maintained proportianality. :karate: