• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why Do We Practice?

i wanted to hear some of yalls reasons for training with weapons, most of the weapons we train with we will never have an opportunity to use so why do it?

not saying it is wrong cause i am fascinated with weapons just want some of your feedback.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would love to be able to practice in Western Swordsmanship, but there aren't any active groups near where I live. I would do it just because it interests me, and I love it.

As for other weapons, I would like to practive knife and stick, as they would relate more to my line of work now. I do work with the gun when I get a chance.

I can't speak for the study of historical weapons, we don't use the traditional japaneese weapons exactly for the reason you lay out...we won't use or face them.

Now knife and stick work are a different story. They are both prevalent and easy to access as tools of defense. That you may indeed face either of these and that you can very easily have either at your disposal, is why we practice with these.

Yes, I think firearms training should be address by black belt level as well. That's just the kind of work we live in and the prevalenence of handguns means that seriuous discusion on defense and use should be considered as well.

Knife, gun, and stick are relevant and we do self defense trainging with them, and regular training with knives, or the Dan Gum(short blade).

I think staffs could also be applicable depending on the situation you're in(broomstick, whatever). I think using weapons sets us up for working with other things that may be available to us if we actually have to fight to protect ourselves/others someday.

Making another object become one with your body and your motion is very good to learn, especially how to strike with various things, various ways.

Like tallgeese said, i think gun training is important.

But some or i'd like to say almost most of the school owners out there don't have any experience in that area and that may give them a disadvantage in teaching you. I believe in it and I am just lucky that my Instructor is a detective and tactical team speicalist with many many years of MA and police experience. If instructors aren't well versed in gun defense i think they should either take a course to teach it to their students or offer a seminar with someone who does.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

In my school we practice/work with the cane, which is a pretty cool "stealth weapon." It can be carried about in public without drawing much attention, if any. We also work some stick fighting.

We study traditional weapons, also. I am working with double 'chucks at the moment. Not my favorite weapon, but I've got to learn 'em. I haven't asked exactly why we work with them, but I think I will.

Ed

I agree with KyoSa as well, quality movments are key in regards to any type of defenses. With regards to firearms, which many practitioners may not be comfortable with, this is doubly important.

If your not comfortable with teaching quality movments, then one's unfamiliarity should be acknowledged and outside help sought. There are pleny of good instructiors out there who teach basic courses up to advanced seminars in such things. Even an NRA basic class can bring one relitively up to speed on basic shooting and safety.

This shouldn't be seen a limitation for someone, but an opportunity to advance their own sd knowlege base.

I would love to be able to practice in Western Swordsmanship, but there aren't any active groups near where I live. I would do it just because it interests me, and I love it.

My mate gets to do it everyday as he is a Knight at the Tower of London.

He complains though about having to wear full plate harness and sweating his proverbials off, but still ... what a job!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

He complains though about having to wear full plate harness and sweating his proverbials off, but still ... what a job!

I envy him greatly!

One often overlooked reason is just for the fun of it. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. It is just fun to pickup something that you probably will never ever use in real life unless a burglar breaks into your basement while practicing with your Naganata.

There are other reasons as well.

My instructor teaches an Eku or Eiku form and there are a lot of sliding motions where your hands are sliding up and down the oar. He is constantly drilling into our heads that these kata help us learn important movements such as "sticky hands" used in our Tuite.

We have heavy weighted tan bo that work on arm strength. Bokken and Suburi training do this as well as flipping Sai. If you can flip a Sai you can do a "milking punch".

Then there are weapons that don't seem too practical but may come in handy. Many Jo motions can be used with a broom. Shovel for an Eku. Flashlight for a Tanbo. Really small flashlight for a Chizikunbo. Say you have your jack handle in your hand changing a tire when someone tries to mug you. It is shaped similar to Tanbo.

You just never know where you'll be or what you'll be doing when you get attacked.

In law enforcement (we get to play more than the average bear) many of us use semi-traditional weapons all the time. A straight baton used by many agencies are just a single tanbo. My department uses expandable PR-24's which are essentially Tonfa. Some agencies actually use the Rapid Rotation Baton which is modeled off the Sai and I've even seen some agencies use a modified Nunchaku.

Another reason to train with a weapon is it gives you an understanding of the weapon, its strengths and weaknesses. If you are suddenly confronted by an attacker with that weapon, you might have a better chance of defending yourself should you know a little bit about it.

I have trained with most Okinawan weapons a little, and I do mean a little. I would not call myself proficient with any of them. Bo is my favorite and I train with it the most, and have learned a few basic forms. But I still train mostly open hand.

Just my 2 yen

Lee Richards

Kenshukai

An OyataTe International School

I envy him greatly!

Well Bushi, If you ever find your self here in the UK, pop over and I am sure that he would be happy to run through a few things with you.

Mind you, got take take your hats off to those guys. I didn't realise just how heavy Plate Harness and the under garments (sorry cant remember what he calls them) are. 60 pounds! Imagine having to fight for your life whilst wearing 60 pounds of sheet metal and carpet basically

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com