• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10 years ago, probibly not.

These days you have tons of guys heading to mma gyms to check it out and see if it's for them. Now take a dude who lifts alot and has good strenght and maybe a wrestling back ground. Pretty common in lots of areas, right? Now, give him 6 months or so of ground training. His guard is probibly pretty good, even if he can't execute from it. Now you have a specimen of an individual who can hold you in a position pretty well. This means that you are in effect working agaist a staller now in a street fight. It is now even more imparitave that you are working on escaping.

Not saying it's a common thing, I'm just saying that the sheer unpredicitability of what can happen in reality is pretty amazing and weirder things have happened. If nothing else, training agaist the stall and considering it not only for competition prep but also in the context of sd, is useful for making a well rounded fighter.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Believe me with no rules involved I'm getting out of that position pretty quick. I've got lots of dirty little tricks to get out of tough spots. Plus the guard isn't the safest place anymore, especially against someone with MMA training.

I do like competitions though. I think they make you sharper and I'm only doing them for that purpose. They're a great place to test ones skills against someone who knows nothing about you, in a controlled environment. Also, my goal is to be able to attack from any position and I'm starting to get there.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Personally I'd rather win by sub any day but I'll take a win by points too. I've won and lost both ways. The wins are better when youforce the other guy to tap. Under the NAGA rules Shorikid mentioned round 1 is 3 minutes no points are awarded. Round 2 is considered overtime and points will be awarded but a sub is still has the major emphisis. But the take down into someone's guard is considered a nuetral position. Passing to half guard gets 2 points and full mount is 3. And a sweep from geing mounted to guard or an escape is worth 3. If points are tied you had a sudden death round that goes first take down wins and sacrifice throws don't count puts emphisis on throws. I can remeber all the fine points since I've not been able to compete in a couple years.

I know what you mean. What's worse is losing when a guy scores a take-down and then holds you in the guard and holds on for dear life for 5 minutes and wins that way. It happened to me in my last tournament. I don't mind winning or losing by points, providing I am at least actively looking for a finish. Not just scoring a few points and then holding on till time runs out.

If this becomes a problem, then they should look into some prohibitions against stalling, which is what it sounds like to me.

Personally I'd rather win by sub any day but I'll take a win by points too. I've won and lost both ways. The wins are better when you force the other guy to tap. Under the NAGA rules Shorikid mentioned round 1 is 3 minutes no points are awarded. Round 2 is considered overtime and points will be awarded but a sub is still has the major emphasis. But the take down into someone's guard is considered a neutral position. Passing to half guard gets 2 points and full mount is 3. And a sweep from being mounted to guard or an escape is worth 3. If points are tied you had a sudden death round that goes first take down wins and sacrifice throws don't count puts emphasis on throws. I can remember all the fine points since I've not been able to compete in a couple years.

Are these new rules? Did you mean 2 points for passing the half guard. Because many people will let you go to the half guard in order to sweep you. Heck...Eddie Bravo's whole game revolves around it. You don't really pass to the half guard...it's still the guard.

I know what you mean. What's worse is losing when a guy scores a take-down and then holds you in the guard and holds on for dear life for 5 minutes and wins that way. It happened to me in my last tournament. I don't mind winning or losing by points, providing I am at least actively looking for a finish. Not just scoring a few points and then holding on till time runs out.

If this becomes a problem, then they should look into some prohibitions against stalling, which is what it sounds like to me.

Most tourneys have those prohibitions. I think the problem comes from judges who aren't always experts in the style. Therefore they aren't quite sure if it's stalling or some new thing they haven't heard of. Essentially, the rule isn't enforced consistently.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Personally I'd rather win by sub any day but I'll take a win by points too. I've won and lost both ways. The wins are better when youforce the other guy to tap. Under the NAGA rules Shorikid mentioned round 1 is 3 minutes no points are awarded. Round 2 is considered overtime and points will be awarded but a sub is still has the major emphisis. But the take down into someone's guard is considered a nuetral position. Passing to half guard gets 2 points and full mount is 3. And a sweep from geing mounted to guard or an escape is worth 3. If points are tied you had a sudden death round that goes first take down wins and sacrifice throws don't count puts emphisis on throws. I can remeber all the fine points since I've not been able to compete in a couple years.

Well I'll have get ready for NAGA, because that sounds like fun. Much better rules.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"