• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Summer heat

In my current location, we have air conditioning. In my valley of So. Cal. it can get up to 114 in the summer.

A few blocks away, there is a boxing gym that intentionally built their new facility without A/C! They LOVE the unbareable heat their brick room produces! To each his own.

I realize it's not your fault IcemanSK...but that was really foolish of the boxing gym to do. Many athletes die every year from heat related illnesses. It's even happened on professional sports teams. Increasing the heat in your training serves no purpose...especially when you don't compete in the heat. It's just dangerous.

I know alot of schools are this way because they were not fortunate enough to be able to afford a building with AC. That's one thing... but to build one without it is just asking for someone to keel over.

For those of you who don't have A/C...make sure your students get plenty of water. In additon, during exercise water is not absorbed into the system as readily as when you're at rest. So that means you need to take in extra. Chugging the water is better for you as it will allow your stomach to empty...letting the water get to the large intestine for absorption more quickly. Not everyone can stomach the feeling they get when chugging the water though. A small amount of food (a piece of bread or couple of crackers) will also help increase water absorption.

Don't be stupid and think your student is learning something by not allowing them to hydrate. If they ask for water...let them have it. You may think the student is wimpy for asking...but you'll look pretty stupid behind bars if that student has a heat stroke. Also, know the signs of heat illnesses.

http://www.scif.com/safety/safetymeeting/Article.asp?ArticleID=87

To answer the question...we are fortunate enough to have A/C.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only second what ps1 has said, it may even be worth having another topic on.

Some people need more water than others, such as myself. I seem to sweat alot. Where some of the other students might not.

People need to be treated individually, just as thier martial arts should be.

This being said, I have heard of some clubs, and body building clubs suggest training in warm conditions. (Maybe this was just meant as opposed to cold conditions).