• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aren't you getting a bit old for all that?

It's funny because we just had a baseball center with batting cages put in next to our dojo, literally right over the wall...there they are. It's funny because we've never had any foot traffic before, so we didn't know what to expect.

Here's what we've noticed...the kids that walk by with their bats and gloves walk by and drool and have that..."that's SO cool" face on.

Every mother than walks by, puts a hand on their son or daughters back and pushes them towards the baseball center as soon as she sees him/her drooling.

Every father that walks by, the second he sees one of the black belts or one of the adults he puffs out his chest and swaggers into the baseball center with that look of "i can SO take you...all."

Funny how certain people may think, well im too old for that, maybe they're thinking...im better than that, i can take them.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this would count as "karateism," but after my boss discovered I'm a blackbelt, he'll often strike a fighting stance (if you could call it that) as we pass each other in the hallway at work. It's very Barney Fife-ish. I know he's just playing, but it seems a lot of people will start making "chop-saki" moves at me if they know I've studied martial arts. I've grown very weary of it. Now, when strangers ask me if I have any hobbies, I just tell them I like to exercise without elaborating what I specifically do.

It's funny because we just had a baseball center with batting cages put in next to our dojo, literally right over the wall...there they are. It's funny because we've never had any foot traffic before, so we didn't know what to expect.

Here's what we've noticed...the kids that walk by with their bats and gloves walk by and drool and have that..."that's SO cool" face on.

Every mother than walks by, puts a hand on their son or daughters back and pushes them towards the baseball center as soon as she sees him/her drooling.

Every father that walks by, the second he sees one of the black belts or one of the adults he puffs out his chest and swaggers into the baseball center with that look of "i can SO take you...all."

Funny how certain people may think, well im too old for that, maybe they're thinking...im better than that, i can take them.

Thats funny my dojo is in a room inside a baseball complex. An I agree on seeing some of the same reaction of parents and I get some strange looks when I come out of our dojo to use the restroom (to be sick) soaking wet in sweat.

I don't know if this would count as "karateism," but after my boss discovered I'm a blackbelt, he'll often strike a fighting stance (if you could call it that) as we pass each other in the hallway at work. It's very Barney Fife-ish. I know he's just playing, but it seems a lot of people will start making "chop-saki" moves at me if they know I've studied martial arts. I've grown very weary of it. Now, when strangers ask me if I have any hobbies, I just tell them I like to exercise without elaborating what I specifically do.

I used to be more secretive about my karate, but the weird reactions don't get to me so much anymore. Other people making fools out of themselves can't take away the enjoyment and benefits I derive from my participation I karate. It's a big part of who I am, so to lie about it would just be dishonest anyhow. I hope that more martial arts enthusiasts will be open about their passion. I want to see martial arts viewed as a legitimate way to workout, participate in sports, better oneself and to just have fun. If we hide from the outside world, we are less visible and all that much more prone to ridicule and mocking from a society that doesn't understand what we're all about.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

I was at a work social gathering a few months ago, when chatting with a senior manager he asked me when I was going to stop Karate!!! :-?

He was not having a pop at my professional ability, he was just bemused as to why a grown man would give over 3-4 nights per week in pursuit of "pyjama" wearing karate exploits

Anyone else come across this sort of "karateism" (I made that word up, as in racism (although I am not in anyway trying to mock racism cos it just ain't funny).

I suppose it may be an age related thing, but I would like to ask if anyone else has been subject to this sort of thing.

Does training get in the way of your school, college, career etc. and if so how do you manage it and respond?

Or is it just me.

Z

Nothing wrong with training to stay in shape and such but I do kind of laugh when older people try to get into the fight game late in life. I'm 23 and I've been into martial arts since a very young age. I kickbox competitively and I see a lot of 30-35+ people trying to jump into the game and they don't last. Injuries take longer to heal at that age and 9/10 times there is no hope for that person to get to any sort of elite level.

I know it is kinda mean to say but it's the truth.

Fighting isn't 100% physical. It would be foolish to think that it is. Old or not so old. End of story.

I totally agree with this. You have to be smart and have the right mental attitude too. There are quite a few of the more senior guys at training who could totatally wipe the floor with me if they wanted to. And a fair number of them started in later life.

To be honest, not everyone is in MA to get to fight at elite level or even just to stay in shape. There are there for MA itself.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Nothing wrong with training to stay in shape and such but I do kind of laugh when older people try to get into the fight game late in life.

Hmmmm "Fight Game" sort of sums it up really! Well for you at least I suppose.

Others here might be slightly less two dimensional about it but, hey, I was your age once and fought at pretty high level for a fair few years, and to be honest, back then, I probably felt the same way. :)

Never underestimate your opponent... No matter how old (or young) they may be.

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Nothing wrong with training to stay in shape and such but I do kind of laugh when older people try to get into the fight game late in life. I'm 23 and I've been into martial arts since a very young age. I kickbox competitively and I see a lot of 30-35+ people trying to jump into the game and they don't last. Injuries take longer to heal at that age and 9/10 times there is no hope for that person to get to any sort of elite level.

I know it is kinda mean to say but it's the truth.

Not everyone will get into the Martial Arts to be elite, competitive athletes. It would be nice if it were something we could all strive to, but it is difficult. In the end, they may be starting just because they want to learn aspects of self-defense, or a different way of moving the body, just to name a few.

Competition is nice, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Not everyone will get into the Martial Arts to be elite, competitive athletes. It would be nice if it were something we could all strive to, but it is difficult. In the end, they may be starting just because they want to learn aspects of self-defense, or a different way of moving the body, just to name a few.

Competition is nice, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

True, martial arts can help a person realize their flaws and strengths. . .sometimes.

<3