• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aren't you getting a bit old for all that?

I was at a work social gathering a few months ago, when chatting with a senior manager he asked me when I was going to stop Karate!!! :-?

He was not having a pop at my professional ability, he was just bemused as to why a grown man would give over 3-4 nights per week in pursuit of "pyjama" wearing karate exploits

Anyone else come across this sort of "karateism" (I made that word up, as in racism (although I am not in anyway trying to mock racism cos it just ain't funny).

I suppose it may be an age related thing, but I would like to ask if anyone else has been subject to this sort of thing.

Does training get in the way of your school, college, career etc. and if so how do you manage it and respond?

Or is it just me.

Z

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does training get in the way of your school, college, career etc. and if so how do you manage it and respond?

I wouldn't say training gets in the way of things (I usually choose training over other pursuits :P) but it has stopped me doing a lot of things. Like in school I played GK on the netball team for years then my training night swapped to a Thurs.. netball games were always Thursday. In the end I gave up my spot on the team to carry on training. Also there are times when I've passed on going out with my school friends because I don't want to miss a training session. My school friends just don't get it though, they're all really into their respective sports but I think MA can really be one of those things that takes over your life.

This year has been worse as its my final year in school so the last proper chance I'll get to spend with my school friends yet I still train just as much as ever, if not more, and they can get pretty annoyed at times. And I've got exams that'll determine whether I get into uni or not so its been hard trying to cram in homework whereever possible. Also training means I don't have a job because I can't physically manage the minimum number of hours people want. Whatever money I have goes towards training, or buying stuff for training, or travelling to training.. why don't I give it up? I just love it too much.

As for karateism, I guess people just don't understand it. In my experience (being both a girl and going to a school where probably about 1% of people do MA) a lot of people have misconceptions about MA so they can't understand why you do so much. It does seem pretty crazy that he asked you when you were going to stop but if you look at other sports people do stop after a while..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

It has gotten in the way of everything from other commentments to relationships since I started it.

Fortunatly, as I've gotten a bit older, and hopfully wiser, I realize the importance of other things. My family leaps to mind, and I have curbed the time I spend away from them for it.

Well said, tallgeese. MAs get in the way of everything and has for a long time. i've had to make very difficult decisions. but i've busted up many relashionships and other important things that's made me realize every now and then i need a break from MAs 24/7 to realize that there's other things that are important too.

I love it too much to let it go. I plan on learning and teaching for the rest of my life.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

The amount of time that I have available to spend training has gone down over the last few years. During this time, I have gotten married, and become a father of two. Its hard to tell your son that you can't play with him because you have to go to class in the evening. Then, when you get home, its time to eat, bathe, and get to bed. It just gets tougher.

Although I will never quit MA training until I just can't physically do it anymore, I do make sure that I have the time to spend with my family.

Anything in excess is not good for you or those around you but I think that the mental and spiritual aspects of the martial arts changes you in a way that you can never be "away". It becomes you...and the balance comes as you change. As I age, the physical abilities wane but the passion grows....hopefully I find those few students willing to obsess as I do and eventually take my place.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Well said ninjanurse. I think that is every teacher's ultimate goal. To find the student that one day will have the steadfast passion that you did and have the willingness to learn, keeping pushing forward, and eventually have the wisdom and courage to take over for you. I think i may have two of those students now, but you really don't know what the future will bring. :wink:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I started MA when I was 14. All through high school, I was the "karate geek" that no one really knew what to do with. In college, I trained with a bunch of like-minded folks. I probably trained more than I studied.

In grad school, it was hard to balance school & training. When I took a break from grad school, I took a second shift job. Even then I traveled 25 miles (one way) to train. When I finished seminary & began to work in churches, it became harder to find time. I had to make time. Ministry is an emotionally exhausting job. Like a lot of other jobs, one can loose themselves doing it & have little time for other important things.

Years ago, I read Stephen Covey's book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." One important thing I took from that book was the idea that, "if you're gonna pack a box full of rocks & sand, it's important to put your big rocks in first." Meaning: If you don't make room for the things in your life that are important to you first, the less important things won't allow you to make any room.

I still train & teach after 26 years. I still have the passion for that I did at 17, but I also know that if I have to miss a day, it won't kill me.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I think that because having kids take martial arts classes is so popular, many people feel that it is something that only kids should be doing (which there is no such thing- I still value my afternoon nap time).

School has kept me from training a lot in the past, however it doesn't have much to do with not having an hour or two to spare a few days a week, but because of location.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I hope that my son takes to the Martial Arts, and then I can train more, because I will be taking him with me. That's what I am hoping for, anyways.