• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Master Taika Oyata (Ryu Te) System

pama4242

Ok, for you guys studying Ryu-te, is it related to, or another name for Ryu-kyu kempo. I know that this system had a master Oyata involved in its oversight. Apparently, it's where Dilman acquired lots of his presure point theory from.

It was a tuite based artform, lots of standing jj and joint manipulation. I've also seen video of Oyata breaking down kata, I can't say that this was my prinicple intrest.

The reason I ask is that one of my old instructors was ranked in this so I kind of trace a linage, in part, back to this art. It's certainly where all of my standing joint manipulation came from. Anyway, there were enough similarities that I wanted to ask. As you well know, the more traditional aspects and history of the arts are not my strong suit :) .

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, for you guys studying Ryu-te, is it related to, or another name for Ryu-kyu kempo.

The term Ryukyu Kempo was used by Funkakoshi and Choki Motobu. Shigeru Nakamura called his karate Okinawan Kenpo. Nakamura was one of Taika Oyata's instructors.

When Oyata came to the U.S., he called his karate Ryukyu Kempo. Without getting into the whole Dillman/Oyata controversy, Dillman had some contact with Oyata in 1983-4. When Dillman began popularizing his karate as Ryukyu Kempo, Oyata changed the name of his organization to Ryu Te. This was in 1993. This was done to draw a clear distinction between his organization and Dillman's. Ryu Te is also a registered trademark, so no other organization can use it.

Dillman's Ryukyu Kempo does not have it's roots in Oyata's Ryukyu Kempo.

There are other groups out there using the term Ryukyu Kempo, and as far as I know, they are all former students of Oyata.

Yes,RyuTe is the system formally known as "Ryukyu Kempo", Dillman began teaching "his" stuff, after attending a few of Oyata's seminars,and "taping" them, which is where ALL the material in his first book came from (and for the most part, doing them wrong) and he began using the name. When that occurred, Oyata was quite upset. Therefor, he changed the name (and copy wrote it) Beyond that, the systems, though similar in some respects, are completely different in content, execution and beliefs.

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com

Figured it was something like that. I know that the guy I trained under didn't care for what happened with the Dillman thing.

Yes, he was one of this Oyata's student's. Just wondering if it was the same orgainzation. Good to see that it's still flourishing a bit.

• 1 month later...

Just brought this back to say I started studying with TexasMike after having a couple of meetings and I must say I really like Ryu Te. It seems to me very straight forward in theres no movements wasted. I had 2 meetings and sat in on 2 classes with TexasMike and felt we were on the same page about self defense or as he and Taika Oyata put it Life Protection, looking forward to learning alot more.

Since I just started its all basics right now, practicing good form and keeping a solid stance. I must admit I didnt feel it the day I started but the next day I felt a slight twinge of soreness, its great to be back in training at a school again :)

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Welcome to the family!

Glad to see you found what you were looking for and hopefully we'll see ya at a seminar some day.

Lee Richards

Kenshukai

An OyataTe International School