• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blackbelts - Plain or Embroidered

Dobbersky

It is cheap looking, but its for kids. Seems the same to me as getting all kinds of pokemon things or those pog things. As long as the kids are reading and enjoying it. Would make going to classes and earning a real black belt more worth it. I mean, why would Jackie Chan send a really nice black belt in the mail?

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is actually turning a little grey-ish white?? does any of your guys do that?

Mine is getting a little gray around the middle and starting to fray where the knot is always tied. Its the same belt I've had for 8 years now and I plan to keep wearing it until its pretty much worn through.

Its just hard for martial artists to watch such great symbolism be thrown around like a chew toy for a dog, that's all. Nobody's going to go to the government and have Jackie Chan recall all his materials. Just some things plainly look bad, that's all.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Hey, its just a belt, isn't it? After all, we always catch ourselves saying that "rank doesn't matter" or "a belt is just good for holding the pants up."

So, what is the big deal, then????

Wow, This Thread has brought some really good opinions

From what I have read, to us all, this cloth/cotton belt is 'Our' belt, it symbolises all the blood sweat and tears throughout the years. For us to have 'Our Name' or 'Our Style' on it is not really an issue as some do and some don't

We do all agree that the rank of a Black Belt doesn't matter, being Shodan, Sandan etc, its what it means to the wearer.

Let me ask you all, I will do this tomorrow. I will put on my White belt (if it still fits me) on in front of my class I will teach the class, as normal, and I will let you know how it went. I ask you all to do the same and see what 'reactions' you get.

Then we will be able to truthfully answer, what 'Our Belt' truly means to us.

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Dobbersky,

I've always been meaning to do that, I just don't want my head master to walk in and kill me! Maybe i'll give it a shot, i'll be interested to see how it goes.

Bushido,

It is no big deal. But it's interesting to see how other people wear theirs, think of theirs, what they think of other styles. What they think "over the top is", and what isn't enough. In terms of rank, yea, no big deal. But in terms of opinion, im intersted. Everyone who's made shodan/cho dan has made the journey but all of ours has been different. :)

I'm all for getting an embroidered belt and I have a couple reasons why.

1) On a few occasions, I missed class but left my uniform and belt in the dressing room as other students do. I found out that another student in my school, used my belt on a couple of occasions when I wasn't in class. Of course, I should have just taken my uniform and belt home; that's not the point. And it's not that I'm not charitable enough to lend --- I simply do not like someone else using my belt without my permission & even if I was asked, I would say no. Our instructor keeps a few spare in the closet and he should have asked our instructor instead of just taking mine and using it. It's my own personal preference. If you have an embroidered belt with your name on it, I doubt someone else will use it.

2) You've worked hard and many years to achieve your rank. It's only natural to want something (for yourself) that symbolizes that achievement. You must wear a belt in class anyway so why not have it embroidered with your name and/or rank? I find nothing wrong with this.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I don't think its so much the fact that it is a blackbelt, I would be just as happy if someone gave me a pin badge for it. Its the fact that you've put years of hard work in, sweat, blood and tears to earn the right to be considered part of those that have the belt. Its more a sign or honour I suppose. On the surface it doesn't matter really, I mean as soon as you are presented with a strip of cloth you don't suddenly develop super powers but I think deep down it does mean something. How much that means is different for everyone. But it is a symbol of acheivement no matter what it looks like. Embroidered or plain.

Take this thread for example, I think the general concensus is that cjgotti should keep his rank... yet why should we all say that if we are adament that blackbelt doesn't matter and we should all be happy to wear white belts? Its all very well for people to say that they don't care about rank but if you were all told tomorrow that you were no longer allowed to wear your belt and that you must now be a white belt, I wonder how many of us would truly accept it.

Why do people adorn their belts with embroidery? Pride in their acheivements? Purely asthetic reasons? I think the same reasons could be applied to why some people wear the same plain belt until it wears out. Its part of your own acheivement and how you feel this is best displayed is up to you.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well said DWx. Personally, the whole white belt thing. I honestly think it would be kind of cool, in a twisted kind of way. I think to wear a white belt and have the skills of a black belt is enough for me. To be the best white belt, the white belt that beats the black belts, i think that would be a cool lesson...look, im not wearing my own belt, im not even displaying my own rank but hey...my skills and wisdom and abilities are still here. I think lesson it comes down to, if a brand new white belt is born to be an amazing, humble, skilled black belt then what's it matter if they wear a white belt the whole time, you know?

But yes, good post. The symbolism, the true meaning, and the actual literal sense of the black belt are all startly different things, and it gets even more different and specialized to each style and each person, that, i think, is the remarkable part!

1) On a few occasions, I missed class but left my uniform and belt in the dressing room as other students do. I found out that another student in my school, used my belt on a couple of occasions when I wasn't in class. Of course, I should have just taken my uniform and belt home; that's not the point. And it's not that I'm not charitable enough to lend --- I simply do not like someone else using my belt without my permission & even if I was asked, I would say no. Our instructor keeps a few spare in the closet and he should have asked our instructor instead of just taking mine and using it. It's my own personal preference. If you have an embroidered belt with your name on it, I doubt someone else will use it.

that is interesting and very logical reasoning, tiger. i bet not many of us had thought of that. i often joke and tell my students that as we get older, and we have our black belts, our name and school name is on it for when we get lost and people can return us to where we belong. i would be a little bothered too if someone 'borrowed' my belt without asking. it's just not something i wish to share, but if it makes you feel better i leave my belt and uniform in our dressing room too from time to time.