• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you ever trained with a champion?

I trained for 4 years under Master Jin Y. Park of South Korea. He has 7 national titles in Korean for the S. Korean Military championships, and he has gotten 2 gold and 1 silver metals for the times he competed in the Phillippeans in the World Battle of Masters (I believe it was called). He doesn't talk about it much (very modest) but my assistant instructor had some awesome video footage from the Battle of masters which were full contact and very very high intensity as they were at the international level. Some 5-6000 people compete there. Very cool to see my teacher do that on video.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i myself, but my instructor had a bout with Bill Superfoot Wallace and i have trained with an 11th generation samurai, i suppose you couldn't really call him a champion but his lineage, ability, and genral way of life is incredible.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

While I was training at my ATA school, I also got the opportunity to train a guy who was a Boxer in the 1940s and 50s. He was an old guy, but he had THE biggest hands that I had ever seen, and he could still hit hard. His punch was phenomenal. He was a successful Boxer, too, and would have faced Sugar Ray Robinson, I believe, had his father not come and gathered him up to go home. I think I am right about my dates, but someone who knows some history, let me know if I am off.

The guy still works at his dairy farm in Rawlins Co, KS. His name is John Maxwell. And boy, the guy had some stories. I really like that old guy. Man, could he hit hard!

bushido man, I really enjoy it when I get to be on the floor with some of the guys who have been around for a while as well. Those guys that grew up fighting in a different era do have some stories to tell and are usually very knowlegable in their fiels. Always an excellent experiance.

KyoSa, I think that the oportunity to train with someone of that linage would be fantastic. Yes, I know, maybe a bit of a suprise of some, but I really do appreciate the history of the arts. That would have been pretty cool.

tallgeese, you're right. i really can't describe. He's so very traditional and just such an amazing man. the guy's older than dirt but could absolutely lay me out on my best day, he's just truly unbelievable.

It's amazing how much i can learn from a fellow who doesn't know a speck of english! :D

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

bushido man, I really enjoy it when I get to be on the floor with some of the guys who have been around for a while as well. Those guys that grew up fighting in a different era do have some stories to tell and are usually very knowlegable in their fiels. Always an excellent experiance.

Absolutely! I always loved listening to his war stories, as it were. It was a different time, for sure. It makes me wish that I had stories to share as well. My dad also has some stories. Some of his Navy stories are great entertainment, too.

I havent trained with anybody who has "made it big" in the eyes of other martial artist, but I think the people I train with are great! I did compete years ago when Billy Blanks was still in the circuit. For real, he is amazing. I have still never seen anyone jump higher than him.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I train at Jeff Smith's World Champ karate.

He is not out on the floor as much now a days but still is once and awhile, runs the black belt exams and manages the school.

He is former seven-time PKA World Light Heavy Weight Karate Champion.