• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you ever trained with a champion?

I was wondering if anyone here has ever trained with a champion in their respective arts? It doesn't have to be popular world champion, but anyone who you view that "made it big" in the world of MA competition.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shook hands with Satoshi Ishii, the All Japan Judo Champion for 2006.. I told him that I would give him my yearly salary just to train me for one year? I had him sign my Gi.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I've trained with a few in the past. Marek "the Punisher" Piotrowski, 7 times world kickboxing champion; Kris Kruez, 3 time woman's pro boxing champ; Jason Robinson, former WBA Continental Americas Light-Heavyweight boxing champ.

Leon Spinks once trained some fighters (working off community service hours for a DUI) at a gym where I trained.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Yes.

Royler Gracie- Needs no intro

Mario Sperry- Several Time world Champion in Brazilian Jiujitsu/MMA

Saulo Ribeiro- Many time world champion in Brazilian Jiujitsu

Chris Canale- Collegiate All-American Wrestler; Represented the US in Greco Roman wrestling

John Fleet- Collegiate All-American Wrestler from Iowa under Gable.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Not necessarily champions but I have been to a couple of seminars in the past:

- Attended a "masterclass" with GM. Choi Jung Hwa, Gen. Choi's son.

- IIC seminar with M. Hwang Ho Yong VIII, he did nearly all the flying kicks in the TKD encyclopedia, got him to sign my very first dobok :D

Also I go to national squad training where there are quite a few people who have medals from Euro and World champs. Two people from my home club themselves have won places on the podium. Also being at squad training you get the opportunity to be taught by some real experts like M. Miller VII and M. Whiteley VII not to mention the coaches who themselves have competed.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I was lucky enough to train for a time with Keith Hackney of early UFC fame. By extension, I was on the floor with Gideon Ray who would later go on to be on the Ultimate Fighter tv show for a season.

I did several seminars in the early 90's with Bart Vale, who was the heavyweight shootfighting champ. I even trained at his school for about a week while preping for a tourney.

I still train from time to time with Jim Theobald, who was one of the best MMAer's in the state for a time. He pretty much taught me my ground game.

I also trained with a guy named Leo Kirby for a long time. He won a Pan-Am division last go 'round. I was with him well before his heavy involvment in BJJ, however.

I did have the great opportunity to be on the mat with Matt Hughs as well. Now let me put a disclamer on this. It was when we were both at EIU. He and I had mutual friends and we only rolled a couple of times. Yes, he was amazing even back then.

Boy, do I wish more of that talent had rubbed off :) .

I've trained with a couple of myself my list includes

Judo Gene Lebell, Gokor Chavichian, and locally a guy named Larry Jarrett who held a couple kickboxing titles and Bob Stines who was a world full contact sport jujitsu champ for a few years.

During my ATA days, I sparred a lot with a guy who went on to win his State Qualifier under what was then the USTU. He spent time training at the Olympic Center in Colorado Springs, and was going to go to the National tryouts, but ended up not making it there due to some scheduling deal.