• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okinawan Kempo (Ryu Te) or Ed Parkers American Kenpo

pama4242

I have a tough choice on my hands I'd like to have someone who has studied both, give an opinion, I myself studied Ryu Te for 6 mon. and then when on to study American Kenpo (4yrs.). I know that I felt that I could defend myself quicker w/ Kenpo, because the techiques are formulated for you, but I know that Ryu Te is a very sophisticated art with Kysho & tuite joint locks. I always wondered how good I would have been if I stayed w/ Ryu Te. What Ryu Te offers is a lot more weapons training, some people would say would make you a more rounded martial artist.

I personally can train without worrying about weapons training, as you have enough to deal with learning empty hand.

REALLY NEED OPINIONS PLEASE :-?

Thank you

Edited by pama4242

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do chinese kempo and i like it very very much. It makes a ridiculous amount of sense, all the theory and explanations...it just makes too much sense not to love it.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• 2 weeks later...

If your happy w/what you have, Why concern yourself?, I've studied RyuTe for a number of years and can't see myself doing any other style (no point, IMO). You study what you enjoy, if you don't care for it, Move on.

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com

Greetings,

Just curious where you studied Ryu Te for the short time period you did as well as where you currently live. If there is still Ryu Te in an area you live in, it won't hurt to give it a try again. If you have 4 years of experience now that you didn't have when you first started in Ryu Te, then a lot of the Kyusho and Tuite concepts will probably be a lot easier for you. Your profile says "midwest". I am in Kansas City and could probably point you to a dojo where you could test drive and see what it feels like with more experience now. At our school we have people with zero experience as well as people come in from other styles with several years of core balance, coordination, etc. The people with experience tend to pick up on the Tuite and Kyusho much quicker. At any rate, I'll be glad to help point you towards a school if you want, or answer any other questions regarding the art.

Lee

Lee Richards

Kenshukai

An OyataTe International School