• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I read that in older times, the sport of professional boxing was very different than it is today. People not only fought bare handed, but the sport incorporated a grappling and throwing element. The duration between rounds was not timed as it is today, and they called the end of the current round when the boxers got into a clinch where one of the boxers tossed the other guy to the ground. Martial artists who engage in throwing arts will agree that the hardest part of being thrown is standing up again if you have good breakfall skills, because standing up a hundred times an hour makes you really tired. Thus, bare knuckle boxers in the olden days used to toss their oppoents to the ground from out of a clinch to wear the other guy out. However, some of the best fighters were in such great physical condition that the Guiness Book of World Records records one boxing match that lasted over six hours. Many fights in those days lasted over an hour. With the innovation of modern boxing rules and modern gloves, boxing is almost a totally different sport. You aren't allowed to throw the other guy to the ground anymore and the boxing gloves protect the fists so well that you can actually hit harder, even though the force of the blows is distributed over a broader surface area. Thus modern boxing bouts seldom can go longer than twelve rounds, even though old fashioned boxing might have seventy-five rounds with somebody falling down at the end of each round. Would you like to see old fashioned boxing revived? Could this older sport have an influence on modern dramatized Wrestling or the UFC? Would training in old fashioned boxing be good for modern self-defense purposes? Does anyone see a similarity between this type of boxing and Chinese Shai Chaio, a grappling and wrestling art? Would modern audiences get too bored if they watched a fighting spectacle that lasted three hours? Just some thoughts, -JL.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that being able to go back in time and see some of those fights would be nice, so you could get a good idea of what the art was like. I would also like to have seen the Hellenic Boxing of the ancient Olympics.

The advent of gloves did change the way Boxing was done. With bare fists, head strikes were less frequent, because it is quite easy to break the knuckles and hand on the hard bones of the head.

Here is a good article on some older-styly Boxing: http://www.karateforums.com/the-revival-of-bare-knuckle-boxing-vt30230.html

• 1 year later...

Is James Bond the same guy that played that guy in race around the world? My English teacher last year likes forks and told me it was Jackie Chan... or did she say James Blunt? It may also have been Barack Obama...I hear he has mad ninja skills.

That was a joke my real question is:

Are you allowed to use props in boxing nowaDAYS or firearms in karate? Someone else on the forum said that he won in his division with a 22 rifle. (yeaaah right!)

You're all wonderful people!

The advent of gloves did change the way Boxing was done. With bare fists, head strikes were less frequent, because it is quite easy to break the knuckles and hand on the hard bones of the head.

I read in Phillip Starr's Martial Mechanics on pp. 2-3 that the advent of gloves permitted the hook punch to be utilized and, let's face it, there have been a lot of KOs attributed to a strong hook punch to the jawbone.

It seems that, according to Starr, the striking surface of the fist changed (widened) with the introduction of gloves, so that this punch would now not break your knuckles, especially the ring and little finger ones, by hitting your opponent in the head.

And that article by armandosainz really is a good one. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

It is interesting to see how the addition of protective equipment change different styles. Olympic TKD has been another good example of this.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, original martial art is very danger more than the present. Muay Thai original styl or we call Muay Thai Boran have more technique. You can see some Muay Thai boran technique at 5th clip on this link

http://topkingmuaythai.com/amazing-thailand/

https://www.yakthai.com - We would like to open Thailand to The Earth

http://www.facebook.com/Yakthai - Yakthai Muay Thai Society