• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teaching Kids

Johnlogic121

I'm very careful with what i do because all the parents can see in, and lets just say i would not put it past all my parents to say that im being ridiculous, i don't have to make them repeat their crappy push ups, there's not need to stand over them, etc. and all that crap.

Here is the way I look at this scenario: I am the teacher. I know this Martial Art; they do not. I teach; they do not. They are paying for a service, and that is what they are getting. However, I decide what is taught, and how the classes are dealt with, along with other situations involved in class. If they do not like it, then they don't have to stay. But it is my class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

push ups are a good form of punishment, making them come to class but not able to participate. if they know they are beiong left out because of an action that is inappropriate will encourage them not to want to do it again. if problems like this persist expelling a student or lose of rank may be appropriate.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I'm very careful with what i do because all the parents can see in, and lets just say i would not put it past all my parents to say that im being ridiculous, i don't have to make them repeat their crappy push ups, there's not need to stand over them, etc. and all that crap.

Here is the way I look at this scenario: I am the teacher. I know this Martial Art; they do not. I teach; they do not. They are paying for a service, and that is what they are getting. However, I decide what is taught, and how the classes are dealt with, along with other situations involved in class. If they do not like it, then they don't have to stay. But it is my class.

Exactly..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I think there are just some people that can teach children well...and some that can not. In addition, not all kids respond well to the same things. Tony Rinaldi, the owner of the school where I currently train, may be the best children's instructor I've ever seen. That's in 23 years of training. But I never understand how.

Here's an example of what I mean: He teaches 3 and 4 year olds as well. In that class, a little kid was kinda making some noise while someone was performing their kata. I think the kid was sitting beside the mat and was slapping it. Anyway, Tony looked over at this little four year old and says, "If you slap that mat again I'm going to cut off your arm and keep it."

Most kids would probably cry about that. The kid just smiled and stopped. He wasn't upset...he just did what Tony said to do. Young children aren't usually able to understand sarcasm. But Tony says things like this all the time. He just understands them. If he wants them to line up properly and two kids are standing too close together, he'll look at the offending party and ask if he's trying to hold her hand. The kid moves away much better than if you told them to move over a little.

Anyhow, people like Tony are very rare. I think many people can work with kids. Very few people have the ability to work with any child that walks through the door.

He's probably a parent.

Most parents know exactly how to press all the right buttons with kids, be that their own or other peoples.

Although I have never threatened a kid with cutting off their arm, we often suggest that naughty behaviour could be punished with a no holds barred fight with one of our adult dan grades. It usually has the same effect to stop the kid from doing what he or she was doing. In reality they know that you can't cut off their arm, or have them beaten half to death by a 6'5" dan grade (cos its against the law (apparently)), but they sort of realise the message you are sending.

One thing that is loved by the kids in our dojo is when they have an opportunity to free spar against the adult seniors. We run the Kids class first after which we do the adult session. If enough adults are there before the end of the kids session we get them lined up against the kids and they have a free fight.

The kids think its great (again cos they are programmed to know that these particular grown ups in the dojo wont hurt them (cos they are not allowed to)), and the adults have a bit of fun too.

It brings a smile to everyone's face, and the kids go home telling their mums and dads that the actually fought a black belt.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Well I'm a 5'3" petite female....so I'm rather UNintemidating :D It would probably be different if I was a larger male. Then again I've seen some students respond automatically to larger males, where as I have to show them I'm serious by my actions before some of them will listen.

I understand what you are saying because i, myself, am a female. But i've always grown up with what my instructor calls 'a command presense' he's always told me, 'when you walk into a room, everyone knows it'. which is quite flattering and very nice of him to say. but i have to say, i usually don't have too much of a problem with people listening to me the first time, and i never have a problem with people listening to me the second time. :wink:

I am a very athletic, tough 5'6" female...skinny but muscley. So, i am not as fortunate. I don't quite have that innocent look down yet. :D

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Well I'm a 5'3" petite female....so I'm rather UNintemidating :D It would probably be different if I was a larger male. Then again I've seen some students respond automatically to larger males, where as I have to show them I'm serious by my actions before some of them will listen.

I understand what you are saying because i, myself, am a female. But i've always grown up with what my instructor calls 'a command presense' he's always told me, 'when you walk into a room, everyone knows it'. which is quite flattering and very nice of him to say. but i have to say, i usually don't have too much of a problem with people listening to me the first time, and i never have a problem with people listening to me the second time. :wink:

I am a very athletic, tough 5'6" female...skinny but muscley. So, i am not as fortunate. I don't quite have that innocent look down yet. :D

But you are a girl at the end of the day!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

When I first started teaching I was 17 and looked like I was 12. Right now I'm 24 and could still pass for 15. Most students listen to me the first time, but there are those students, mostly boys aged 8-11, who I have to prove my authority to. Parents have always assumed I was in my early 20's.

I worked in a middle school (students aged 12-14) for two years. Most students were confused as to whether I was an adult or another students. I always got weird looks when I broke up fights or confiscated skateboards. A look of "wait...are you really an adult? or are you some kid messing with me?"

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Any student of mine that does not listen to or respect an instructor will no longer be my student...and any instructor of mine that does not listen to and respect a student will no longer be one of my instructors.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I live by the same mantra and trust me, i do not get pushed around by any means. But times have changed and one has to be careful, especially with the economy being in the shape it is in you don't want to start losing students, but you still need to maintain a sense of discipline. You sometimes need to be conscience of the fact that you are running a business, as much as we martial artists don't want to admit it.

Edited by NewEnglands_KyoSa

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."