• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado-Ryu

bigsouthpaw6

What can you tell me about Wado-Ryu karate? Is it a useful martial art (they are all useful in some form I think) but does it translate to everyday situations? What is the belt order? How long on average does it take to rank up in and how long on average does a blackbelt take to EARN?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All of these questions would be best answered by taking them directly to a school and asking an instructor. Even different schools of the same style will have different ideals. Check with them; they will give the best answers for them.

Wado-ryu karate is not a style that I have taken, but I did meet some people who trained in it several years ago. The prefix "wa" of wado-ryu is a sound that means "harmony," and the "do" suffix implies that it is an "art form of harmony" in some form or another. "Wa" in the martial arts generally is associated with emotional harmony specifically, like the calm that a person feels inside when meditating. Wado-ryu is considered one of the major traditional styles, so its fighting should be very combat applicable. Training of the mind for emotional courage when fighting is a regular element of this style I think. Most Japanese martial arts have ten junior ranks before black belt and the belts have every color of the rainbow with the highest ranks under black (usually brown) using striped belts. Different schools have different levels for each of the colors, so you would have to check with a Wado-ryu student or instructor to learn the order sequence of the colors. Thus, saying you are a "red belt" in the martial arts can be either impressive or dissappointing depending on whether or not a red belt is high in your particular martial art. Most karate schools based on Japanese curriculums require a student to train for five years to become a black belt, but some of the older traditional styles will require a full ten years. It is unusual to reach a black belt in less time than three years unless you 1) train in a Korean art like Tae Kwon Do, where becoming a black belt takes less time, sometimes only two years; or 2) you get private lessons where every move you make can be individually monitored and corrected as you go through everything step by step. In private lessons, you can make very rapid progress, but may still desire time to reinforce those skills afterwards so you build up experience. I hope this helps you. Take care, -JL.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

Wado is an extremely effective Art. I've studied it for around 18 months now grading to 5th Kyu (green belt which I wear even though I have a black belt in another style) in around a months time. I also Practice and Teach Ashihara Karate which is a 'Modern' 'Street style' Karate.

Allot of the Kata, Bunkai (applications) and Oyo and Ippons are truly 'useable' in a 'street' situation

Belt chasing is not the correct way to view your Karate. I've known Brown belts that would give 3rd and 4th Dans a run for their money.

And I've known 1st Dans who can perform kata better than higher graded Dans.

Look at the art not at how long it will take you to get to Blackbelt, remember Blackbelt is the beginning, not the end, for you to truly master the art you need to revert back to your white belt.

Just enjoy your journey through the way

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Thanks for all of the good info on wado-ryu. I had trouble finding good information about it. Now I know. Thanks

Hi bigsouthpaw6,

Are you thinking of training in Wado? If so is there a good dojo near you?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I'm not sure if it is good. I have yet to look into it enough to really know if it is good or not. It is one of 4 styles I am considering. I already started a forum in the beginners section asking what style I should do. I've just had trouble finding info about wado-ryu and started this forum for that purpose. It is definitely a possibility though.

I'm not sure if it is good. I have yet to look into it enough to really know if it is good or not. It is one of 4 styles I am considering. I already started a forum in the beginners section asking what style I should do. I've just had trouble finding info about wado-ryu and started this forum for that purpose. It is definitely a possibility though.

When you say you are not sure if it is good or not, are you referring to a specific Dojo that you have found in your area or wado in general?

Wado when taught correctly is as "complete" as any martial art could wish to be.

It is my understanding that the "Wa" in wado has a very significant meaning in Japan, more than the "Wikipedia" explanation of simply "harmony". It also refers to peace, Japan, the universe and above all their harmony as one.

The word also reflects the perfect harmony of mind and body in combat situations. Many of wado philosophies are based on those of the Koryu or "old school" traditional battlefield arts of ancient Japan.

The problem is, there are very few instructors out there that have the ability to impart that extra bit of wisdom than can make wado what it really is.

I know, as I have trained in it for nearly 25 years, here in the uk and overseas, with scores of instructors but if I was being honest, could easily count on one hand the ones that i think truly understand what makes it work.

Sounds like I am selling out really, but to be honest, if I was starting out in my MA training with what I know now, I think I would probably start Shotokan.

To quote a famous uk TV advert "It does exactly what it says on the tin"

Wado however takes a fair bit of time and good honest training to even start to uncover some of its depths.

Give it a go though and let us know what its like.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

I practise Wado. Its founder (Hironori Ohtsuka) practised Jiu Jitsu from childhood, then trained in karate with Funakoshi. He later founded Wado Ryu, blending elements of Jiu Jitsu with karate.

Wado can be as effective as any other form of karate. It differs from Shotokan in having higher/ shorter stances and using a lot more "tai sabaki" or body shifting. It is a faster lighter style than Shotokan, with quick, short, relaxed movements rather than the exaggerated, strong movements of Shotokan (compare kata from the 2 styles on youtube and you'll see what I mean).

Belt system will obviously differ from dojo to dojo. In ours it runs red, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown 1, brown 2, brown 3, black. It usually takes 5 years or more to gain black (I am due to take mine this autumn, almost 5 years to the day).

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I practise Wado. Its founder (Hironori Ohtsuka) practised Jiu Jitsu from childhood, then trained in karate with Funakoshi. He later founded Wado Ryu, blending elements of Jiu Jitsu with karate.

Hi Fish,

What you are saying isn't entirely wrong but also not the whole picture.

The following is a great essay by Tim Shaw, in which he digs deeper into what makes Wado what it is, taking into account its heritage.

Have a read and tell us what you think.

https://www.wadoryu.org.uk/jujutsu.html

Good luck with your dan grade BTW.