• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spear Hand

Johnlogic121

The spear hand is an attacking hand formation in which the fingers are all held flat with the thumb on the side of the hand. The tip of the middle finger is the primary striking surface, and because all the force of the thursting arm is focused on the small surface area of the fingertip, the spear hand does a lot of damage relative to how hard you thrust it. The primary target is either an eye or the small indentation at the top of the sternum at the base of the windpipe. If you have fully conditioned this striking hand for fighting, then you can actually crush the windpipe with this deadly move. However, it can require a full six years of hand conditioning to perfect the strength of the spear hand so that the fingers do not collapse on impact. Some source say that the middle fingertip should be slightly bent inwards so that an attack that collapses the hand will tend to make the fingers collapse in the natural direction they normally bend, and not against their natural direction. I don't know much about how to condition the spear hand, but I think that doing so is rare today, as most people only have a 25% chance of being in a violent encounter during their lifetime, and the spear hand doesn't have many targets. A thrust with the fully conditioned spear hand into the armpit can be a deadly move, allegedly, and thrusting into the navel of the belly is painful. I really don't think there are any other targets for this hand form than these. Does your style use or teach the spear hand? Often it appears in artistic forms, sometimes at a point where you are imagining that you are reaching inside the other guy's chest to pull out his heart. Not even the fully conditione dspear hand can do this, however, even if you thrust into the solar plexus. Has anybody gotten hurt using one of these? There are other ways of attacking the eyes, such as using spread fingers, but holding the fingers flat together gives them some additional strength against collapsing. Does anyobdy know of any faster ways to develop the spear hand rather than to work on it for six years? -JL

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The spear hand can be a good weapon, but I wouldn't concern myself 6 years of conditioning to use it. I would use it to the eyes, but otherwise, I would choose a different tool for other targets.

The spear hand does have different forms; the two-finger spear, usually to the eyes, or the spread finger spear, in which you can rake afterwards.

The spear hand is generally used to fleshy areas of the body and pressure points. Both my styles teach it, it's very simple to condition for it with different strikes and finger tip push ups, etc. I wouldn't use it all the time. Only when it applies. It can be devastating when used correctly.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

i have heard lots of stories about spearhands my favorite being my senseis kosho ryu instructor would talk about thrusting his fingers in between ribs and popping them that way, or the one about his instructor being attacked by a guy and breaking the attackers arm with a shuto uke then shoving his fingers into his eye socket. it really shouldnt take that long to devolpe your fingers we use them regularly in sparring. we do fingertip push ups to devolope them and bang our fingers against stuff to get the nerves used to the sting of striking stuff

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• 1 month later...

spear hand can be a very deadly move. good for going for throats, eyes and solar plexus

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” ~ Bruce Lee

I'm not one who uses or teaches it a great deal.

I like bushido man's version with the bent fingers used as a gouge to the eyes. Although I'd classify this as more of a gouge than a spear hand. The bent fingers are much less likely to get hyperextended during the constant movement of a real situation that rigid ones.

As for conditioning that long to use any weapon, I'm not a fan. The quicker one can utilize a tool, the more efficient it is. If it takes 6 years to be able to employ anything, I feel it's too long. Improvement can and should certainly be made over this amount of time, but a basic proficiency in a combative movement should be attainable much more quickly.

I bend at the digits or while the fingers stay almost straight. THis lines up the middle and ring finger. Making it a big stronger then the regular spear hand. However I not a fan of the technique as a whole. I rather just punch some one.

As for conditioning that long to use any weapon, I'm not a fan. The quicker one can utilize a tool, the more efficient it is. If it takes 6 years to be able to employ anything, I feel it's too long. Improvement can and should certainly be made over this amount of time, but a basic proficiency in a combative movement should be attainable much more quickly.

I agree. I think that body conditioning is great, if that it what you want to do. There are many great MAs out there that are known for such things. However, I don't get into it that much, and don't worry about being able to break lots of really big materials.

• 4 weeks later...

In the style of karate I practice the spearhand is practiced palm up and usually used to target the bottom ribs by going just under the rib cage with the object in mind of grabbing the lower ribs to pull your opponent into a strike,punch or knee. If you cannot get hold of the ribs grab the clothes or belt. Our Naihanchi is practiced with a spearhand like this instead of a cross punch.

For the eyes,armpit or throat area I prefer a one knuckle punch.

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi