• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UFC versus Pure Combat

Hello,

I'm a newbie here so I'm a bit shy.

I just wanted to say a thing: I have seen a UFC-Like fight several years ago that ended by an opponent killed. There's nothing in the world to justify this. Training is good to build oneself, to protect oneself but not to kill or to put someone in a situation in which there's a great risk of fatal injury.

Just an opinion.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome aboard. No need to be shy, the rest of us aren't.

As to your comment, I didn't hear about it, but I'm certain it's happend. It's too bad, but it's certainly possible for the unforseen to occur. It's equally likley that this kind of thing could happen in any number of combat sports. I don't think that you can single out MMA training as being at fault for it.

Training with as much of a safety margin is important, as is keeping competitions as well regulated as possible. However, I don't think you can account for every unforseen occuarnce.

Thank you tallgeese,

I know that accidents may occur in every combat sport. They may also occur in every possible sport. But you'll agree with me when I say that accidents are more likely to occur in UFC and MMA fights and their alike.

Not only because of the limited number of rules but because of the nature of the various submission holds fighters may apply. In BJJ tournaments for example, you'll have a good number of broken elbows at the end of each competition !

Thank you tallgeese,

I know that accidents may occur in every combat sport. They may also occur in every possible sport. But you'll agree with me when I say that accidents are more likely to occur in UFC and MMA fights and their alike.

Not only because of the limited number of rules but because of the nature of the various submission holds fighters may apply. In BJJ tournaments for example, you'll have a good number of broken elbows at the end of each competition !

By and large, however, the MMA realm has done a very good job of regulating their fights, from the rules put in place to the training of the officials, and there haven't been a lot of terrible things that have happened in MMA.

We see professional football players get paralyzed every year or so. Nothing happens in the MMA with as much regularity.

I haven't seen too awfully many, espically considering the sheer number of people that show up for NAGA's these days. Of course I have no statistics to back that up, it's just from my personal experiance.

MMA injuries probibly look worse due to the high frequency of cuts and the like due to the smaller protective gear used, but I'd argue that boxing probibly does more long term damage with the constant trauma to the brain. It's just nice and hidden. In another, more traditional sense, all the joint manip. guys I know who are over 45 have the arthritic wrists of a 60 year old. That's long term damage gained without even training for full-contact competition. It's just of a different, less dramatic, nature.

The bottom line is that what you're getting into is no secret. Everyone has to pony up and decide if the risk/benifit equation works out favorably for them. For some people, it won't be. And that's fine, no one is saying that this is the only way to train. However, all arts bear some kind of trade off in this catagory.

I bet. I keep saying that tape and knee braces are about the only thing that keep me training these days.

The calm people who don't practice don't get injured, those who practice get injured sooner or later. But that's the price...

Better get strong and possibly injured than stay weak and not injured.

Okay, I will bite.

There hasn't been a death in the UFC from fighting.

The first Death in MMA in a sactioned event in the United states was 35-year-old Sammy Vasquez. Vasquez succumbed after having spent about a month-and-a-half in the hospital following an Oct. 20,2007 knockout loss in a Renegades Extremes Fighting bout in Houston.

Here is a site if you want more details on it.

http://www.mmafrenzy.com/2007/12/05/mmas-first-death-thoughts-and-condolences/

There have been from what I know 2 other deaths. One in Ukraine in an unsactioned event. Which was douglas Dedge, who had health problems and if he was properly medically screened shouldn't have faught in the first place. The other one is in Korea same thing guy shouldn't have faught in the first place becasue of health reasons.

Even so over all comapred to boxing MMA is more safer IMO.