• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Attack Dogs

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i work at a vet as a kennel worker. i have to deal with aggressive dogs all the time. We have ways of calming down dogs. sometimes if that doesnt work, we must, of course, defend ourselves. some of my coworkers say that if a dog attacks them they will hit back. I personally use kung fu( like sticky hands) to control the head and just like sticky hands put them on their sides. When in a fight with a dog, controlling the head is the most important part of not getting hurt. also some restraining moves used on humans are quite effective on dogs

Hon-Shin-Do=The way of the True Heart

Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go untill they think they are going to collapse. but the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further beyond all limits. Only when all these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached.

• 3 months later...

never try to pull yourself free.....do the opposite and go INTO the animal

if a dog takes hold of your arm, move TOWARDS the dog instead of pulling away from it. push your arm as though you're actually trying to force it down the dogs throat. totally counter intuitive, but that's the point. the normal reponse in nature is for the prey to pull, and anyone who's played tug-of-war with their pet dog knows that dogs LOVE this response. they pull back, shake their heads, etc.....

if you do the opposite and move INTO the animal, they are forced to walk backwards, which confuses them, and trying to push your arm down their throat really worries and confuses them

i was given this advice by someone with regards to big cats once (never needed to use it) but next time you play tug-of-war with your pet, you'll see how effective it is. it's a bit mean because although you "win" the fight (even the most tenacious dog will release the toy), your dog will look at you like you cheated. :)

untested with attack dogs, but i'd think it's better than trying to pull yourself free.

• 2 weeks later...

I just happend to see this thread again and took note after a roll call training we had just the other day.

It advocated the use of spray as a primary tool agaisnt the angry attack dog, followed by either striking it with a baton or unarmed if that was ineffective.

I shook my head and couldn't beleive they actually suggested to a group of armed individuals that we should at any point think about getting spray out, seeing if it worked, transitioning to a baton, see if it worked, and then punch it if we were out of options.

Hello, we carry guns for a living. This must be lost on upper administration. I've worked in close enough proximity with our departments k9's to see a motivated animal trying to get at someone. No way am I fumbling with less than lethal instruments while it's running at me.

So, after much thought during and after this training, I finally settled on the following options (assuming a charging animal from which there is no reasonable chance to retreat):

1- shoot it

2- stab it

3- think about spraying as an after thought it as I run for the nearest tree at Mach 2.

Trained attack animals are lethal. There's no way I'm meeting one with less than deadly force. If that's not an option, then escape is the only real option to attempt. Followed by escalating to weaponry.

I agree, tallgeese. I think a lot of people are under the impression that they can just kick a big dog, and it will go away. If the dog gets into that fight drive/prey drive, there is nothing that is going to hurt them. Shooting the dog would be the best idea, especially if you want to get away with the least amount of harm.

• 9 months later...
I've had a few situation were I've had to face an angry k-9. First yelling and making large movements will sometimes surprise and put fear in to an animal. Sometimes you will have to strike the animal if doing so a straight punch directly to the end of the nose if much more effective than the traditional snap to the topof the nose. This affects adog as is does a human by causing blurred vision watery eyes and in dogs it induces sneezing. If that doesn't work the soccer kick to the throat, abdomon, and genitals work quite well.

If the dog is aggressive enough to leap at you with mouth open either offer it you forearm instead of your throat. If you time it right you can attempt a kickto the leaping k-9. If you are brave enough to reach into a the snarrling pooches mouth grab the toungh k-9s hate this. If you miss the toungh push you hand on into the pooches throat to set off the gag reflex.

If you opt to run. First quickly evaluate your surroundings. Look for vehilces, trees, buildings ect. If a vehicle is nearby get on top of it the dog may follow you but you have the advantage because the surface of the vehicle is almost like ice to the pooch. Best if it is your vehilce simply get in and drive.

Trees to be useful need to be climbable of course. Get in the tree and call for help and if you still have your cell at this point call 911.

Building for obvious reasons and angain call 911.

Personally I carry a pocket clip easy opening knife and if I encounter a strange k-9 my right hand immediatley hits my knife. This is not sayingI pull it I just get my hand on it. Because if something happens and I can't get it open I know I can get it out and use it as a kubaton.

Also it you carry pepper spray that would be a great option since k-9 sent glads are very sensative.

Actually, K-9 is not a special breed of dog. It is a is a homophone of "canine", members of Canidae.

I do agree, that if a haven is in a short distance to run for it.

I would think I rather a dog bite my arm while I am trying to scurry to safety, than any other body part.

The only problem with running is that most dogs have a prey drive...and if they are trained attack dogs, they will have a high prey drive. And unless you can get to cover REALLY quick, you make matters worse.