• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Systems

I have only just started my kickboxing about 5 weeks ago and I can actually take my black belt test when I looked at the grading sylaabus. The reasen I can do it right now instead of waiting 3 years is that my other style of karate was very much like kickboxing as it was a more modern and practical style, so I can actually do all the moves that a black belt kickboxer can do and I haven't even graged! :kaioken:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were always taught to answer "Sir" or "Ma'am". Not just to the instructors, but that's where it started.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Same, everyone in the school is either 'sir' or 'ma'am', when you're calling someone by name we usually use Mr or Ms as well, then the surname. Of course Choi has a somewhat military background which may be part of the reason.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

In reply to the origional post, I think we all know, even if you have only been in a class for a few months (like me) that having a higher ranking belt doesn't mean you can woop on all lower belts. Like it was mentioned earlier, your belt just shows what you've learned not your skill. I must admit though, I get a kick out of getting my next belt and I'm in my mid 30's but I also know what it does and does not represent.

As far as the respect thing goes, I respect everyone in the dojo and show proper respect to all upper belts, I haven't regretted it yet nor have I been disrespected yet.

I think belt tying began as some sort of Okinawan torture ritual :uhoh: I hate tying 'em too, but you get the hang of it after a while.

Thanks for all the input; this has really given me a new perspective on belts and what they mean. I'm sorry about coming on so strong in the original post, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Again, thanx for the replies.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

Most people, especially little kids don't have the heart to train like u do. They need to see that they've done something. Yeah, I can beat many of the black belts, but there's also a few lower belts that can beat me. You give respect to the time and effort that someone's put in to achieve their belt.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

To :smile:-:

if your 'white belt' is really brown/black through use then I bet it stinks to high heaven. Not to mention the fungus and other bugs you have probably got growing in it. The old story about a white belt turning 'black' through endless use is just a myth. All the old masters I have read about were very strict about keeping their gis clean and I'm sure they wouldn't have put up with a fungating belt. Do yourself and your training partners a favour - wash that belt!

Well actually your belt should not be "washed".

Care of belt: You should clean stains individually. To relax a new belt so it will hang freely, continuously crush it into a ball with the hands and store it this shape. A belt may be stretched by hanging it over the top of a door and pulling down on the ends of the belt.

There are more posts here concerning purpose of belts http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2100&forum=2&30

Also I posted this a while back ... an informative philisophical meaning of the martial art belt

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1717&forum=27&7

Basically the styles that traditionally use a belt ranking system do so primarily for determining this:

The overall skill level of the class, using the number of yellow belts, green belts, blue belts, etc.

The approximate skill level of each student.

The approximate physical fitness level of each student.

The approximate number of months/years each student has been training.

The approximate level of commitment of each student.

What patterns, step-sparring sequences, and techniques each student knows.

What patterns, step-sparring sequences, and techniques each student needs to learn.

Whether a student is allowed to free spar.

The approximate sparring ability of each student.

I think that if you can not defend yourself or at least fight against people of the same rank and not get killed you need to take off your rank and do something about it. At my instructor's school if you cannot do what is required of the rank you possess, you are asked to either fix the problem or move to an appropriate rank. The belt you wear should be a mark of how well you can fight, defend yourself, knowledge, etc. The problem is that we have to many belt factory style schools in todays society. WE must not let it get any further than it has gone and FIX THE PROBLEM. Now I am not saying that a 70 year old should challenge an 18 year old to a fight to prove himself, but he should be able to take care of himself. :kaioken: :argue:

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."