• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Systems

Belts cover two inches of your a**. Your skill covers the rest.

Although belts were once a decent indication of prowess, they mean almost nothing now. Many training halls, dojos and dojangs alike, give out belts like cotton candy. I once saw a green belt beat a 3rd degree blackbelt to the ground with no effort. Since then, I put my belts aside. I now wear only my white belt, stained with sweat, dirt, and occasionally blood :karate:. It's now a pleasant brownish/red, almost black, after training so long and hard. In my opinion, belt systems should be kept simple. Beginner, intermediate, advanced, instructor. Or simply teacher, student. I don't see the need for 12 belts, when they mean nothing except more money for belt tests, and another new color to inflate the practitioner's ego.

Your thoughts?

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We teach new techniques at each belt level, and use it as a judge of how long someone has been training, at the intermediate and senior levels it also includes the rough estimate of ability, possibly not much use for people in other martial arts but we find it useful.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Belts have nothing to do with how well you can fight. This is one of the biggerst misunderstandings in the Martial Arts. Yes a black belt should be able to defend himsef and put up a quality defense. However that does not mean he will always win. There are just some people out there who are MEAN and have never took a karate, boxing, or wrestling class. They are just hard nosed people who have had to fight or die growing up.

Rank is a honor not a right. It don't mean much more than you have put your time and understand how your art works. I once taught a lady in a wheel chair for a few months. Because she can't kick don't mean she should not go up in rank!

Your training idea with the white belt is the old way. I think that is cool that you do that. However most people need to see that they are making progress and differant color belts keeps them into it. Make you feel better.

As far as paying for tests. I know some people really take advantage of students on this. However there are many like me who ony charge 10.00 this covers you belt, certificate and fram, and any shipping costs. In fact I loose money on some tests. However I have no problem with people charging for it because as all of us know we got to keep or schools open and extra income for tests don't hurt.

Always respect rank even if you know you are physcially better because there is also a mental and emotional side to it you may not understand.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree, G95. I also agree with .... um, the first poster.

I am simply a yellow belt in TKD. I can whoop on other yellow belts there if I wanted to (I came from another style), but I don't "show off". I am more willing to help you out than whoop on you. It's more of a respect thing, not a rank thing. I could whoop on a few advanced belts (which I was in TSD), but I'd rather respect you. To me, rank has nothing to do with respect. I know you were gearing toward the rank thing, but, to me, respect is more important. One of my schools "oaths" is to respect all "seniors and instructors". I don't agree with that. I will respect a white belt just as I would a higher rank. It don't make a difference to me what rank a person is.

I do agree with that rank doesn't measure (or tell) someone's skill.

Just my 2 cents :smile:

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-15 21:44 ]

Laurie F

KarateKid1975

The meaning of the oath refers to exactly what this post is about. It means respect all high ranks even if you can beat them up. It is understood that you respect and help lower ranks.

Sort of think of it as helping a little kid across the road. All of us are going to grab the 5 year old by the hand and lead him. However not many of us will ask the 70 year old lady or man if they need help.

(We can all beat up the 70 year old lady but we don't out of respect just as we smile and say yes sir to the head student who can't beat up the newest white belt)

Respect all higher ranks becasue it is understood you will respect the lower ones.

At least that is how we teach that idea.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

we should respect everyone unless they give you a reason. i dont mean being better by i lesser belt. i mean ignorence or stupidity. like once, when we were stretching there was one of the senseis daughters leading us shes really stretchy. my mate i was sitting next to wasnt do it right so i pointed it out to be helpful. this girl thinks she so much better then me coz shes a better belt. and she says "shut up its not like you can do it!" i felt really angry about that coz i can do it just not as far as her. i was just have no respect for her. she thinks she so great coz she senseis daughter. now i dont respect her beacuse she doesnt respect anyone. what does everyone else think about this?

If you'd been telling him something wrong and she'd corrected you I wouldn't see a problem, but if you're just helping someone out telling you to shut up is the last things she should do, if you were doing it wrong then she should have just corrected him afterwards, probably by saying something like 'Or you could...'.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Respect is important. In our dojo we have a woman who is of upper rank and would not seem to be as good as alot of the lower ranking students. A comment was made by a yellow belt. I merely stated that 9 months of pregnancy and a C-section will tend to slow you down a bit. I find it to be an inspiration when people continue training after many physical limitations slow them down.

Shame on those who question the rank of others. It shows a lack of respect of your teaches judgement!!!!!

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Well unless you are a female instructor ... in that case you are addressed a "ma'am"

Black belt students are addressed respectfully by their proper title i.e. sensei, sah bum nihm.....

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-17 11:09 ]