• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dojo Alcohol Policies

I read that about 75% of Americans resist the urge to drink alcohol daily. Not only that, but if kids under age fifteen start drinking, there is a very high chance that they will become alcoholics. In Ninjutsu and Montgomery Style Karate, the tradition is that you can drink a single alcoholic beverage if you are in bereavement. For those of us who can't keep it to a single beverage when they drink, they are encouraged to remain totally sober. This seems to be a workable system because it limits drinking behavior to a low level and makes it associated with grieving, so it is not a celebratory occassion. Naturally, a zero tolerance policy for illegal drug use is part of full sobriety. Does your dojo have a policy on alcohol use? Schools that teach kids might warn kids about the dangers, but it would be very rare for eight-year olds to throw back some Jim Beam on a Saturday night. In schools that teach adults, however, newcomers to the school might need some support from friends or even alcoholics anonymous to quit drinking. How do you deal with a student who can't control their drinking conduct? Is the only option expulsion from the school to prevent the sutdent from learning anything that would hurt somebody if he got drunk? Are there some milder solutions? Thanks in advance, -JL

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our school doesn't necessarily have an alcohol policy. We expect our instructors and students to refrain from drinking before coming to class. If a student had a problem, I would do what could be done to get them help, and try to support them.

We don't have a drinking policy as such. Obviously you are expected to turn up to class sober but I don't think there's ever been a problem with an alcoholic before. It isn't expected that we refrain from drink we even have socials where we go down the pub, not to mention the Christmas party where several individuals got very drunk and did some very embaressing things.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

So , you mean on non training days as well?? Seems a bit of an invasion of someones privacy. I can understand not drinking on a training day. I for one despise the effects of alcohol on others , and probably only drink 1-3 drinks per month , but would be offended if required to not drink at all , other than when in mourning.

We have a drinking policy but only if it affects your MA abilities or teaching abilities. we had an instructor come to class drunk to teach. luckily one of the seniors was there he took care of him but made sure he reamed him when he was sober. he made sure he got home safe and everything, and he taught his class for him. but he talked to him later about it and told him that if it became a habbit of coming to class that way first he'd lose his teaching title then he'd be kicked out if it got even worse.

I think drinking policies are good but have to be set for the right reasons. aside from that we've never really had a problem. just don't come to class drunk, that's all we say.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

At the dojo were I train we don't have anything in writting. But it's basically understood respect yourself, the others in the dojo, the instructors, and the dojo show up sober. As far as outside of the dojo we have no policies on a students drinking. I me on occasion we'll get together to watch some fights or just for diffrent reasons and share drinks.

I think even if a dojo doesn't have anything in writting there are some basics that are common sence.

At the martial arts schools i attend(1 is karate, 1 is mma) there is no specific alcohol policy. However i assume that if a person turned up intoxicated they would be told to leave the class.

If a person has an ongoing problem with alcohol abuse i would suggest that they seek professional help from an organization such has alcoholics anonymous.

For interests sakes, when we train for purely self protection we have the students who go to clubs/pubs and drink regularly, drink an amount of alcohol that makes they start feeling a little "tipsy" and then we place them in scenarios from there. Its good for them to see how their response varies when they are under the influence. (Note, this is not done on a regular basis, but when we do this kind of training it is performed in a safe environment with designated drivers already organised before the training session.)

Cross that you which you mentioned about getting alittle tispy then putting students in diffrent scenarios is something of interest. Have you ever had anyone to get out of line durning this type of training? It would interesting to see what you acts and reactions would be under the influince.

Cross that you which you mentioned about getting alittle tispy then putting students in diffrent scenarios is something of interest. Have you ever had anyone to get out of line durning this type of training? It would interesting to see what you acts and reactions would be under the influince.

No one has ever got out of line, being that i dont do this kind of training with just anyone, i have alot of trust for the people who are doing it. Also they dont get totally drunk, just enough so they start feeling it a little.

Their reactions are generally slower and most find it harder to concentrate when trying to verbally diffuse.