• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anticipating the Enemy

That's actually exceptionally difficult.

If one were to scientifically look at the methods employed (learned empirically) in most eastern internal arts they (in many ways) mirror the sort of psychological training that groups may undergo to properly access more input than their brain usually allows their conscious mind access to. It may be that there is a limit to this, as at a young age (<=5yrs) the brain begins a period of something akin to freezing out, i.e. at birth it is tabula rasa (clean slate) and is still learning what information should be automatically discarded and what should be presented for conscious decision. Once this is set in place, it is exceptionally difficult (i would say impossible, but im not one to speak in definite as such) to force the brain into conscious analysis of excess data (where you have to remember there is a significantly smaller limit on the processing power available at a conscious level).

Sorry if this is a bit garbled or rushed, I wish I had time to write more :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if its a matter of analyzing excess data, maybe subconscious training could be employed. I have seen a couple of books which help you train your subconscious "give support" to your conscious mind by trying to directly access its influence be it by direct commands, requests, or self hypnosis.

Maybe that could be fastest way to become more alert and faster at analyzing and reacting to stimulus...

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 3 months later...

Every since I was held up at gunpoint ages ago, I've developed a habit I have when walking down the street. I don't stare down at the concrete or just straight ahead, my eyes do a scan from one side to the other. I mean, not constantly, I'd get motion sick if I did, but you get the gist of it.

Also, and this might sound paranoid, I'm very sensitive to strange noises in my home, and anyone I don't know who stands too close to me in public. I don't have a sixth sense, I'm just very, very cautious of my surroundings.

What's that saying: "Once bitten, twice shy" - something to that effect.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

There has to be some kind of formal training...

In Wing Chun, this is developed by constantly performing drills with a partner, the sensitivity just "turns on". Also they are told to look at a person's chest and shoulders, since that shows if the person is attacking or moving. But after a while they can do it with blindfolds.

I really found this video link very interesting.

I think that if you're in a street situation you do make eye contact, but your actual focus (by quick glances?) is the chest-shoulder area, you'll be more aware of your adversary. I'd add in "hands up" at chest level, with palms out or at a 45 degree angle, to define space and be in defend/attack position, akin to the blindfolded Wing Chun practitioner having his hands placed before him. It was a drill, yes, but the blindfolded defender was "one" with his immediate, forward space, even when his partner tried snaking through--to be stopped and counter-attacked every two seconds.

It was awareness and control bound together.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yeah, I don't keep my eyes on theirs ever when I feel a conflict is emminent.

Center of mass is the way to go. It gives you a feel for their body posture and weight distribution. Your periphial vision can pick up movement quicker than can your focused vision, giveing you a faster reaction time when they do iniate.

Additionally, this method govesyou view of the elbos and knees, which must move prior to and during an attack. After all, these joints contorl where the hands and feet go.

Just my thought s on what I keep an eye on, so to speak.

Yeah, I don't keep my eyes on theirs ever when I feel a conflict is emminent.

Center of mass is the way to go. It gives you a feel for their body posture and weight distribution. Your periphial vision can pick up movement quicker than can your focused vision, giveing you a faster reaction time when they do iniate.

Additionally, this method govesyou view of the elbos and knees, which must move prior to and during an attack. After all, these joints contorl where the hands and feet go.

Just my thought s on what I keep an eye on, so to speak.

I tend to look at my oponent through "relaxed eyes" as it were.

The key is the use of the peripheral vision as others have said, but I would be looking at their eyes if I could see them.

I would not "focus" on them because this closes down your field of vision, but I also think that the eyes and face of your oponent can be read and thus often give you a split second "heads up", so I would not look at a different part of the body either.

Elbows and knees tend to move with noticeably large signals, but if you were looking in the direction of the center of the body mass you will not see the finer signals made by the eyes.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

i tend to look at the chest - it not only allows to use peripheral vision, but u can also determine which of the opponent's attacks are likely to hit u, and which aren't.

u can also pick where you will attack from since u know what angles are less likely to be protected.

but i dont want to have to think, I want to know and react!

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty