• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Accidents when (attempting) breaking

For those of you that practice breaking, anyone ever had an accident doing it?

Saw this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UZl8AY7Uc8 and seriously feel sorry for the guy, (although it was a pretty stupid thing to do).

So whats the worst thing you've done while breaking?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, i didn't do it but a friend of mine and a fellow black belt did.

Somehow she just forgot, i suppose, to hit ONLY with her heel on an ax kick and her whole foot slapped the board...almost breaking it(no...not the board, her foot). She now openly admits how dumb that was but i will never forget leaning over her as she was crying and asking her how in God's name she managed to do such a thing(i was also giggling...yes, im a great friend...i know). all this not to mention she was testing for BB two weeks later!

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

As difficult as it is to admit. I did something very similar to this once. I was just going to break a board with a palm strike. Somehow I missed but clipped the board with my wrist instead. It tore open the skin and cut up my wrist pretty bad. I still have a scar from it.

I promptly broke the board and cleaned up my wrist.

It was really embarrassing though. That's what I get for trying to impress my friends.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

For those of you that practice breaking, anyone ever had an accident doing it?

Saw this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UZl8AY7Uc8 and seriously feel sorry for the guy, (although it was a pretty stupid thing to do).

So whats the worst thing you've done while breaking?

that was beyond my expectations, i thought he would break his hand or something. LOL

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

ah, i remember one of my own stories now. i do a seven board downward elbow break...so i need cinder blocks to hold the seven boards up. i was doing a demo at a local ymca camp. well my break is last because it was kind of the hi light break of that particular demo. i get up, line up, practice, and throw it...it was beautiful...went through like butter but as i bent down in my stance following through to the floor well i bent over too much and my chin knicked the corner of the cinder block on the way down. so my break was beautiful and flawless mean while i've never bled from the chin so much in my life. i have a scar to this day.

funny thing is...i didn't even notice it until i was standing there and i saw people starring at me and i was like hmmm....ok.... and then my face felt oddly wet so of course what do i do? put my white dobahk sleeve to my chin...yea, really smart.

yea, it was kinda cool actually. except for the fact that sparring was next.

at the end my master instructor asked if there was any questions and of course all the kids raise their hands excitedly and he picks one of them and he pay my instructor no mind, looks right at me and goes DID THAT HURT!?!?!?!?

haha, love kids... :lol:

Man, that looked like it really stung!

The last few times when I was trying to break with a punch, I ended up breaking open my knuckles on the boards.

Knuckles are the worst, i've busted mine open on a punching bag(that's a long story as to why i wasn't wearing gloves, but it was justified). They are so hard to heal because you're constantly moving the darn things!

I have never broke them open on the bag before. Just on boards. The last time it happened was at a testing. When I bounced, I was so angry, all I could think about was putting my fist through that board. Well, the GM told me to change my technique. This hacked me off even more, and then I looked down and saw that my knuckle was bleeding profusely. I kind of understood then. I was still mad, though.